• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming Computer, around $2000 budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One thing, i7 3930k is Sandy E, the new 4930k is Ivy e and still compatible with socket 2011. Newer is better

Would you recommend a different motherboard for an Ivy e processor since they have some compatibility issues with some x79 motherboards?

You could save $200 by getting a Z87-A and 8GB of RAM. That allows for a 290X, which will perform better for gaming.

Also, no need for 760W of PSU if you're not going Crossfire. A Seasonic G550 would be plenty.

I prefer 16GB, just me. Plus with a 550W PSU eliminates the option for Crossfire / SLI some day.

I prefer a 700W+ power supply because I will probably SLI after a while with my build, I believe that I will upgrade to at least 16GB of RAM eventually, I just have 8GB as the starting build. Price is less of an issue to me than functionality, and I would like this build to be as efficient as possible. BUT, if you believe that some of what I have is overkill, I wouldn't disagree, I just need to know what components are best for their prices.

You need 4 channels for a 2011 platform to run optimally, though it will work with just 2.

I also don't see any case fans. You'll definitely need them on a 2011 platform. For such a high end machine, some variable speed Deltas would be the way to go.

If it for gaming playing on 1080p resolutions, this is all you need and it's still overkill. You only need the 750w PSU if you are planning on going X Fire add a case of your choice and optical drive and you're set. If you're looking to play on the highest settings on every game maybe up the Gpu to a 290x.
Capture.PNG

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2iahl

Here's my new build, been thinking pretty hard about everything I want out of this build.

Decided on downgrading cpu and decided against a 2011 motherboard. Kept the gpu and psu because i will be doing a good amount of dual screening, possibly up to three eventually. 16 GB of RAM because you can never have too much RAM. Samsung SSD because they're way better than Intel (my first SSD which wasn't as fast).

Let me know ways for me to improve further, I'm definitely more confident with this build, thank you guys for all of your tips and criticism so far.

Well.. what I would change...

1. I dislike the Sabertooth. While it is a quality board, it is not better than a $160 board. If you are a gamer, an MSI Z87 GD45 would be plenty, even with overclocking. Save yourself some money.
2. SSD. Samsung 840 Pro or EVO should be your choices. The non pro/evo is pretty slow compared to their bigger brothers (but still way WAY faster than an HDD of course)
3. 780 @ 1080p resolution is overkill. Grab a 290 (cheaper).

No need for a Sabertooth, grab a Z87-A.

Up the SSD to an EVO 250GB, you'll thank yourself later.

Are you going to be gaming on one screen or all of them?

Yeah I did feel that my motherboard and SSD were the weakest points of my build, I do like the MSI Z87 and I'm new to SSDs so I'll look into them further. I'm hesitant to get rid of the gpu, I kinda like having overkill in my graphics card. And yes I will be gaming on dual monitors (both) frequently.

Dual monitor gaming... I assume that wont be with a FPS as that bezel in the middle is not good, LOL!

That said, 290x or 780 would be my choice as chances are you are playing RPGs which normally do not take a ton of horsepower anyway.

I do play a lot of RPGs and MMOs but I also play fps which I'll be on a single monitor when I'm on those, Ex counter strike, cod (most steam games)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2iDOM

Here's the changes I made to the motherboard and SSD, hopefully this will be the final product of my build

I am still willing to hear your criticisms of my build, and I trust you guys fully.

Thank you for your time.

For the SSD, get the 840 EVO or 840 PRO. The normal 840 is slower.

Is the one I have on that build not 840 PRO? And is the 840 pro better than the 840 evo at their respective prices?

Back