• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What processer should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenSmoke

I am going to get a new rig but haven't kept up on the latest and greatest. What is the current thought on a good processor?

I am shooting for around $300 for the processor + cooling + MoBo.

I game, but not heavily. The games I play are not super intensive games, like Civilization and RockSmith. I can live with turning game settings down to make games play well.

I want...
  • the "best bang for my buck"
  • the entire rig to be quite
  • a "sure bet" processor that will either take a modest OC easily or is fine OOB

I don't want...
  • an elaborate cooling system
  • a processor that is super hot
  • a complicated, risky, or massive OC

Feel free to recommend a MoBo or cooling solution if they are relevant to your recommendation.

Last edited:
Welcome to OCF GreenSmoke

You weren't too specific about the Computers purpose. IE Gaming? Phot/video? Just surfing and e-mail??

(added this to the original post)

Thanks for pointing that out. It will be primarily gaming, but I can live with turning the settings down on most games. The types of games I play the most are less intensive in general, like Civilization and RockSmith.

I agree with trends suggestion on the new AMD APU's.

I think for that price range this would be your "best bang for your buck".

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Ry2Q

Please tell me more about why you recommend this MoBo?

I am with you on the processor, cooling solution, and case (from another thread). I actually have that HS in my current rig (soon to be family PC) and like it.

It's one of Gigabytes top boards for that processor. It has everything you need plus more. If you ever decide to game a bit harder you'll have the foundation to do so. The biggest mistake people make here is buying to cheap of a Mobo. At $110 is right in your wheel house. Need another opinion just ask LVCOYOTE. Here is his in depth review of this board. It is Overclockers approved.

http://www.overclockers.com/gigabyte-g1.-sniper-a88x-motherboard-review

Hoping to get what we pay for...

A full size ATX board like this has PCB real estate to help with heat. Has four memory slots and can use even two separate or Discrete video cards. Top of the line idea and not entry level, cheap0 board.

Gigabyte’s A88X FM2+ Motherboards Detailed
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...igabyte-s-a88x-fm2-motherboards-detailed.html

Of course all the mobo manufacturer's will have A85X chipset boards for cheaper prices. And even some Kaveri FM2+ boards will be in mATX and think even iTX for a tiny board. But just remember even the AMD APUs run warm or hot when pushed.

For install and forget users just about any board that has the features they want would do. But then move to wanting to push the APU...well again cheap may not be so desirable. IMO. If I were going APU for myself, it would be a brand of board I liked with A88X chipset and in ATX size for the real estate to aid in cooling when I turned the wick up.

Most folks just buy on price. I just never bought the foundation of my rig with el cheap0 in mind. Sorry.
RGone...

That giga board takes him out of his price envelope when you throw in the recommended CPU and cooler and it may be overkill for what he wants to use it for.

Thank you both, that is the insight I was looking for.

I am not looking to buy on price alone, I want value (Quality/Price). Most of the MoBo's I was looking at were price comparable to this so there is no shock on the price tag.

Honestly "greensmoke", I might even wait until the Kaveri processor is out and some of the boards actually reviewed with shipping Kaveri processors. I certainly don't think I would buy before I knew the Kaveri results since that will be the latest APU from AMD.
Gone...Again.

That giga board takes him out of his price envelope when you throw in the recommended CPU and cooler and it may be overkill for what he wants to use it for.

The link I listed is $255 for CPU, cooler and mobo. His request was to keep it under $300. Unless I missed something.

The link I listed is $255 for CPU, cooler and mobo. His request was to keep it under $300. Unless I missed something.

Okay, my mistake. I was looking at that board price on another site and the board alone was over $200.

Well actually a user wanting suggestions for hardware, should have at least a country in his info so that we can get suggestions from that area. I have been seeing people in some parts of EU buy a CHV cheaper than our Sabertooth here in Usa. Prices are wonky for sure.
Gone...Again.

This is what I am thinking so far. Any critical reviews would be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.13 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($48.99 @ Dell)
Mouse: Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball ($39.89 @ Amazon)
Other: Font Panel USB 3.0 ($16.99)
Total: $955.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-07 14:45 EST-0500)

Two things stick out to me:

I'm not real keen on the case, only because it has just 1 120mm fan in it, not enough airflow.

A 500w Psu will be plenty for the system if you want to save some money.

Back