• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Understanding Rack Server Power Needs At Residental

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cegha

Registered
Hello guys. I am starting this thread here, but forgive me if there is a more appropriate place that it should be. Please move it if need be.

I haven't been on this forum in years, but am going to use this as a starting place. Let me know if there are any other forums I should check into.

I will try to make this as brief as possible to start with, but it is still going to be fairly long. I have found a local business that has decided to move to cloud computing and is getting rid of servers & rack equipment. I met with the owner to discuss purchasing some equipment & see what was available. He had more equipment that I expected. One of which items was a server rack.

I am going to buy the rack & a few of the 1u servers & am looking to install it inside my house. My knowledge on electricity is minimal. I've been reading for the past week about powering 42u racks in a residential environment. I've learned a lot but still have lots of questions i'm hoping some members here can help me on.

I don't want to pester the guy with texts or calls as the equipment is in a warehouse so he can't just readily get me info on it other than what he remembers. So I have been piecing together info.

Here is what I know. It's a dell 4210 model server rack, i'm confident based off pics I snagged. Pretty much fully loaded. He has told me it also has a pdu on it. He advised me it has a 30amp output plug, he thinks. He was not able to advise me of the pdu model. I would assume it's a Dell model. Any input on Dell pdu quality?

I also noticed he had about 10-18 1u rackmount Powercom KIN-1000AP-RM UPS. Now i'm very confused on how this guy would have had everything wired. Looking at the UPS, there are 4 UPS powered outlets on the rear. I believe there are 2 batteries in the UPS, & each 2 ports are on a battery which is rated at 500VA. Could anyone confirm this, or would each battery be 1000VA rated? I don't see that being the case. A rating of 500VAx2 seems like it would be more accurate.

I've learned about NEMA. The UPS has 5x 5-15R NEMA with one "bypass". the output plug for the UPS is a 5-15P. The servers powered off these UPS in question are Dell Poweredge 850, Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 345 MAX PSU.

What i've read is the order for power should be outlet > ups > pdu > servers/etc.

Going off this power order, the only conclusion I can think of is like 8 UPS would have been on a single rack, running approx 32 servers. If each battery is only 500VA rated, I don't really see you being able to use more than the 2 outputs. Running more than 2 servers per battery seems like it would be overload. From what I read, stuff should not be wired this way. I think he then had around 8 ups plugged into a pdu on the rack then plugged into a wall. If you had a nice managed/metered pdu this would not allow proper monitoring. This is the only scenario I can piece together for the equipment I was able to see, but seems like bad practice. Am I missing anything or would someone really wire stuff this way? I will know more once I actually have the rack in my possession next weekend.

The only thing he told me about his setup was that he had 3 of these racks, fully loaded on the 2nd floor of a residential house powered. I have no idea how the floor didn't collapse. That was another concern of mine. I would be installing mine on the first floor on a hardwood floor. Should I have any issues with a 2'(w)x4'(d)x6.5'(h) rack? He claims it weighs 500lbs with current wiring & doors. I figure another 500-600lbs of loaded weight. I know safes can be heavy & usually don't hear any issues about those. My room for this is probably a 9'x11' room, with almost nothing else for weight in the room. Rack would not be filled immediately, but I do want to fully address weight concerns. Any advice here?

Anyways, i've already begun planning to rewire the power situation. I'm going to really need a new outlet ran specifically for the rack. If he has stuff wired like I think he does, then that needs to be scraped & done properly. Again I don't know yet if these pdus are 120v or 240v or how anything was wired. I was thinking of going with 2 3000VA batteries. About 15-16 servers per 3000VA UPS x2. For electrical needs I want to hire an electrician to run me outlets for the 2 ups. From what i've read about electrical if you run a double circuit you can get 240v at home. I guess it would be a 2x 20amp breaker. Would this be a sufficient setup to request an electrician to install while still leaving some headroom for possible heavier upgrade usage in the future, or would 2x 30amp style breaker be better? Any idea what an average cost would be to run this new line, install an outlet & breaker for it?

I don't need fancy runtimes. Power either flickers or goes out for hours on end in my area. I will know in under 60 seconds if the servers need to be shutdown & if so give clean shutdown. Also to not overload ups or circuits. Those are really my only 2 goals with ups. Would 2x 3000VA ups be ok to run approx 30-32 servers, single 48 port switch, & modem. That should be about everything on the UPS. Looking for 10-15 minutes of load would be more than enough time for shutdown scripts to work. PSUs posted earlier for most servers being run would be 345Watts MAX.

Most servers won't be at 100% load. I plan to use 10-15 of them for some cluster/cloud computing stuff so those won't be on all the time. Those will probably be on there own UPS I was thinking & only used occasionally.

Thanks for any help you guys could give me to start off. I promise to make a detailed thread once i'm up & running & have full details to give you. This is in the very beginning stages only at this time.

You can use a Kill-a-Watt to check the power usage of each device. Best practice is to size for everything full load (unless you have a system that prevents it) and stay below 80% of the rating.

Back