• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7950 and PSU question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Core2-Duo E8400 (stock clock)
Intel DX4BT2
Intel Pro+100
1 250gb sata, 1 250gb ide, and 1 20gb ide.
4gb of ram.
Lepa N500 Power supply (500 watts)

Core i5 3570k
Asrock Extreme4 z77
1tb seagate drive and 60gb sata drive
CX750 Power supply (750 watts)

if i fit my 7950 on the core 2, it reads 440 watts. if i fit it on the core i5, it reads 350-370 watts. i am overclocking the card only on both systems. should i get a better power supply for the core 2?

Nah, PSU's are generally under rated from factory. and lepa's are very well made. Plenty of OC room on that without going over.

If you haven't modified power tune on your card, you won't exceed tdp+20%. That puts it at 240w or less. If the card tried to draw more than that it would throttle itself to reduce consumption. 500 watts is plenty, though what little info I can find on that lepa suggests it is a mediocre unit with third rate components.

since you mentioned power tune, i think ill mention the settings i use on both computers.

1150core, 1500mem, power tune +20%

LEPA N500 is not good. It's on the barely serviceable list. They tend to use Jun Fu capacitors (read: junk) and are a rather old design too. If it works it works, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a corsair CX type PSU for the core2 rig.

PSUs are not generally underrated. If you look at PSUs as a whole the average is rather over rated. Most tend to explode before they reach their "rated" output. Now quality units can go over their rating, but it is an absolutely horrible idea to do it intentionally.
Don't be that guy.

i actually took a look at this thing last night. 408 watts total on the rail. good for stock speeds only but not for overclock. so im going to have to get a cx series psu. would a cx600 do the job? i need a psu that can power a single 7950 at overclocked speeds.

Take a look at my sig. I'm running about 435W full tilt (HDDs included). That is including a minor OC on the 7950 as we'll. mines not a great OCer.

Last edited:
What Sig? You posting on the mobile site death? They don't show from mobile side...

Where are you getting the 408w reading from,The wall? If so, you also have to take into account the efficiency of the psu. If its 90% platinum, that is only ~360w actual coming from the psu.

LEPA N500 is not good. It's on the barely serviceable list. They tend to use Jun Fu capacitors (read: junk) and are a rather old design too. If it works it works, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a corsair CX type PSU for the core2 rig.

PSUs are not generally underrated. If you look at PSUs as a whole the average is rather over rated. Most tend to explode before they reach their "rated" output. Now quality units can go over their rating, but it is an absolutely horrible idea to do it intentionally.
Don't be that guy.
I know this is old but... QFT. :thup:

Last edited:
this thread...arr matey.

-anyway-

i replaced the lepa n500 with a corsair cx750 and im now getting a read of 360watts from my kill a watt. i put the lepa in my server since it dosent use much power. yay :)

What Sig? You posting on the mobile site death? They don't show from mobile side...

Where are you getting the 408w reading from,The wall? If so, you also have to take into account the efficiency of the psu. If its 90% platinum, that is only ~360w actual coming from the psu.

I know this is old but... QFT. :thup:

Yeah was posting from mobile... grrr hate when it does that.
Though yes mine was from the wall, using a Kilowatt Meter. I know I was shocked when I read it considering my CPU OC, and the fans that I had running at the time.

Yeah was posting from mobile... grrr hate when it does that.
Though yes mine was from the wall, using a Kilowatt Meter. I know I was shocked when I read it considering my CPU OC, and the fans that I had running at the time.
that psu you have is old an inefficient. Barely breaks 80+, right? So actually, you are looking at much closer to 320w actual use. ;)

that psu you have is old an inefficient. Barely breaks 80+, right? So actually, you are looking at much closer to 320w actual use. ;)

Its old yes, trying to think might be going on 6 maybe closer to 7 years now. Efficiency wise I know it was rated for 80%+ and was good around 50% load for high efficiency as well too.

Its been so long, a great PSU :)

I would not run a 7950 on that PSU at all. CX600 would be fine. There's actually a great promo on the CX750 on newegg, $50 after MIR....$70 upfront cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

Promo code EMCYTZT5492

.____________________________________.

[QUOTE='(G{in}[AK)TION]i replaced the lepa n500 with a corsair cx750 and im now getting a read of 360watts from my kill a watt. i put the lepa in my server since it dosent use much power. yay :)[/QUOTE]

:D

Back