• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI H110M Motherboard only powers up when 4-pin cpu isn't connected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheComputerGuy1

I've recently bought a bunch of new parts to build a new computer and after piecing everything together and see it only boots for a second with all LED's coming on and fans spinning before powering off and powering back on by itself and repeating. I tried removing some wires and came to the 4-pin CPU subsystem power port and when i unplugged that and turned the computer on all the LED's and Fans ran on constant. I have no idea whats happenig to it or who it fix it any suggestions.

List of Parts:
Corsair Graphite 780T Computer Case
MSI H110M PRO-VD, H110, DualDDR4-2133, SATA3, DVI, D-Sub, USB 3.1, mATX
Corsair CP-9020131-UK TXM Series 750 W TX750M ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply Unit
HyperX HX421C14FB2/8 FURY DDR4 8 GB RAM 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM
Intel Core i5-7500 3.40 GHz Base Frequency Quad Core 6 MB Cache CPU Processor
Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Super Multi DL Black Internal Optical Disc Drive
Seagate BarraCuda - 4 TB internal hard drive, Silver,ST4000DM004
Seagate Barracuda - 1 TB internal hard drive (3.5", 64 MB SATA cache from 6 GB/s up to 210 MB/s)

Does the power supply act the same way in another system? Does the motherboard act the same way when using a different psu?

The PSU is a brand new just out of the box one i had to get when the other PSU i had did the same thing and the PSU is fine on other motherboards

It would stand to reason that if the PSU powers other boards with no issues then the motherboard is likely to blame. Personally I'd buy a dang ECS (cough..) board over an MSI but that my personal opinion.

Make sure you don't have any unused standoffs or a misplaced screw or something between the motherboard and the motherboard tray that could be causing an electrical ground out.

Also remove, the CPU and check for bent socket pins.

with this infkrmation, logic tells us its the board, no?
That's what I'm saying. Bent pin..maybe. Short in the case I'm thinking no.

I have an MSI H61M-P23 (B3) I got in a trade locally and it's garbage. Sometimes posts fine sometimes not. Same CPU (2500K) in an Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 runs like a top.

Last edited:
There is also the issue that the H110 motherboard was made for Skylake, not Kaby Lake. Unless you have a Sky Lake CPU to update the bios microcode it might not work at all with the i5-7500 CPU.

Can you get into the BIOS or Boot the OS with the 4 pin unplugged? if you can't and it boot loops with the 4 pin plunged in probably a defective motherboard.

Good catch, trents. The first bios to support it is from 2016(2.A). I dont recall how these behaved woth skylake to kaby lake, but thought since they are so similar, it works enough to flash..

Good catch, trents. The first bios to support it is from 2016(2.A). I dont recall how these behaved woth skylake to kaby lake, but thought since they are so similar, it works enough to flash..

On a scale of 1-5 (with 1 being "not at all" and 5 being "very sure")how confident are you when you say, "but since they are so similar, it works enough to flash."?

Missing a word.... 'should'. :)

3.5. :p

In my experience most things like this will boot and get to the bios. Most. I again bring us back to my question from another thread about board partners shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing at least a new cpu to boot and flash. Indeed weve seen it before where that doesnt happen... :)

His choices are to buy the cheapest skylake cpu out (~$40) and see if it works then flash, or buy a mobo that supports it natively out of the box effectively killing 2 birds with one stone for twice that price.

Edit: Since its new, he may also be able to return the board and buy the proper chipset for the cpu at little additional cost.

...or find a computer place to flash it and see for cheap.

Last edited:
I called MSI and Gigabyte and they said you need the latest BIOS that supports the processor or it won't post. They gave a suggestion a lot of folks borrow or use a cheap sky lake then update the BIOS.

TheComputerGuy1, just pick up a Skylake Celeron. You can get them for under $40. Install it and then update your bios. Then remove it and replace it with the i5-7500. Then you can resell the Celeron on ebay.

Back