• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Maximus VI Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isaac124

Hello, first post to this forum...

I'm shopping for motherboards.. planning to pick up the i7 4770k and just corsair vengeance 1600 Mhz 16 gb (2x8 dimms)

I've seen a mixed batch of reviews with regards to the Z87 4-way optimization utility software that supposedly: overclocks your cpu going up untill the crash occurrs in order to figure out the maximum settings that will work, and then going through other optimization settings including optimal control of fans for quiet modes etc etc... Here's a link to the video i saw.

Should i try using this software or not?

And what doe the video have to do with the Maximus VI motherboard?
Also you don't need the ASUS Maximus 6 to oc your CPU, any good Z87 mobo should be stable when oc your I7 4770k

the maximus VI is a Z87 chipset motherboard. the video claims that the software works for any Z87 chipset motherboard

am i wrong?

Did asus just hyjack the name "Z87" for the chipset and call it a whole line of motherboards which the maximus boards are NOT a part of? despite having the Z87 chip set

Overclock through the bios... and get a lesser mobo. You do not remotely need a $400 mobo to overclock well. A simple $140-200 will be plenty.

I definitely want my rig to have WiFi and Blue tooth. and the on-board sound seems to be on a level that i would find acceptable.

That being said, perhaps it is rather foolish of me to spend so much on a motherboard since when ever i choose to build again.. i'm just losing that wifi and bluetooth which i could have bought as separate, transferable entities.

So the motherboard is becoming the HARDEST THING IN THE WORLD to shop for..

could you point out some of these 140-200 boards.. should i stick with asus? what other manufacturers make overclockable mobos..

I was thinking about the MSI Z87 G43 or G45 or GD65.. i read that they have issues.. perhaps they don't have issues i read others that said there were not issues... i don't want to "have issues"

Last edited:
Back