• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Z87 Sabertooth vs Maximus VI Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2484Stryker

Registered
Hi guys,

I have an opportunity to pick up either of these boards for my new build for a 15% discount. I will only be doing moderate overclocking via UEFI to 4.6GHz without fiddling with voltages, and will only be running my memory in XMP. I also will NOT be using bluetooth or wifi and I already have my own soundcard.

I value reliability and stock performance more than anything else. But overclocking stability does come in a close third. My impression of the Sabertooth is that it is potentially more reliable/ruggedly built than the Formula (there's a reason Asus slapped a 5-yr warranty on the former and only a 3-yr on the latter), while the Formula is also quality-made and has greater potential for overclocking (but not so useful for me).

Basically I was leaning towards the Sabertooth because of its five year warranty plus that sick TUF aromor, but I was also told that it didn't overclock well? But since I only do moderate overclocking at stock voltages, I think the Sabertooth would serve me better, no?

Lastly, I'm targeting these two boards specifically for their armor casing, which looks sick!

My spec:
i7-4770K
Noctua NH-D14
G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2X8)

Thanks!

Last edited:
All 2 of those mobo are really good but the Maximus will add the cool factor to your build.
ROG motherboard is consider by most to be one of the very best motherboard in the market, but it also cost around 30% more than other board.

All 2 of those mobo are really good but the Maximus will add the cool factor to your build.
ROG motherboard is consider by most to be one of the very best motherboard in the market, but it also cost around 30% more than other board.

Haha the Sabertooth looks pretty cool, too!

It's just that my impression is that Maximus Formula simply adds a great sound solution, wifi+bluetooth, and a larger overhead room in overclocking. None of these will I use in the slightest. What I do appreciate, however, are its extra SATA ports and USB 3.0 ports, but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay an extra $60 for it.

That being said, if it offers the EXACT SAME RELIABILITY and durability as the Sabertooth, then by all means I'd be willing to pay for that.

Back