• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Maximus VI Hero (Your Thoughts?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

Hello,

I am ready to make a motherboard purchase within a day or 2 and have been looking at the ASUS Maximus VI Hero and the ASUS Z87-PRO (V Edition) boards.

I recently purchased the i7-4771 (Non-K CPU) and am seriously considering the Maximus VI Hero board to pair it with. Now, I know my CPU isn't over-clockable, but I am mainly interested in this motherboard for is "supposedly" better audio, Intel Network controller and overall good looks. Plus I love the Red & Black theme of the Hero. However, after reading various reviews from Hero owners around the web, I see that many owners are having or have had various problems with this board and this certainly concerns me.

So, I am asking those of you who own this board to give me your thoughts on it. Should I get it or run away and hide from it? :p

I'd also like to ask if any of you are using this board with a non-over-clockable CPU, and if so, are they "playing" well together?

FYI, here is the rest of my components that I will be using with my new build.

i7-4771 (Non-K CPU)
16 GB 1600 RAM
128 GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD
128 GB Toshiba SSD
660W Seasonic Platinum PSU
GPU - Not yet decided on
Case - Not yet decided on

Please give me your thoughts, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance, guys!:salute:

I have one and it's a great board but total overkill for a non K Cpu. It's your money and if you like the looks then go for it. I'm running a 4770k on mine without an issue.

What gpu price range are you looking into, because that would affect your performance the most...so if you could save some money on the mobo and get a better card that would be the smartest

I have one and it's a great board but total overkill for a non K Cpu. It's your money and if you like the looks then go for it. I'm running a 4770k on mine without an issue.

Yes, I totally agree with you that it may be overkill for my CPU, but it does have a few features that I like. Plus, I can get this board for around $160 US dollars as an open box item along with a 30-day return policy if I have any problems with it. Not a bad deal, but I'd certainly be taking a risk. I'm not sold on the board just yet, I am looking at a few others. The color scheme on most of the other boards are very ugly. I know performance is more important than the color of a board, but who wants to marry an ugly chick and have to look at her every day? :p But seriously, I agree with the board probably being overkill.

Thank you very much for your input, bro!

What gpu price range are you looking into, because that would affect your performance the most...so if you could save some money on the mobo and get a better card that would be the smartest

I agree with you. I am seriously considering the GTX 780, which is under $600 for the non-Ti version.

Dorito, I totally understand if you buy a board based on it's looks and of other features you want. It is a pretty nice board and if you're into it the glowing Red on it on it is pretty cool. My ten yr old is begging me to put it in his computer. If you look on this pic, I highlighted the Led trace that glows red. Another board in that you may also like is the Msi Z87 G45.
Capture.PNG

UPDATE: I posted this same question on on a few other forums and most everyone brought up some great points. I've been researching motherboards for awhile now and there's not much difference (internally) in all the ones I was interested in. For the most part the internal components are pretty much the same on all the boards I was looking at.

It was a hard decision to make, but I decided to go with the ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION). It's the same as the regular Z87-PRO minus the wireless capability. I also gambled and ordered it from Newegg as an open box item and got a great price of $127.99. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it. Personally, I think it's an ugly board but it has a "quality" audio chip, Intel LAN controller and a motherboard debug LCD, all features I was looking for. The Hero VI board would have certainly looked better in my case, but since I won't be over-clocking the CPU it may have been overkill. Heck, this board may be too, but I think I'll be happy with my decision. At least I sure hope so. I'll let you all know soon.

Thanks for all the input, guys! I really do appreciate it.

You may want to video tape the whole unboxing procedure from start to finish. Just in case there are bent pins in there. With these boards the "open box" would make me a bit leary.

You may want to video tape the whole unboxing procedure from start to finish. Just in case there are bent pins in there. With these boards the "open box" would make me a bit leary.

You're right about that. I am very concerned, no doubt. Newegg says these boards are "tested" to work, so I am assuming no bent pins. I certainly hope if the pins were damaged, or ANYTHING for that matter, Newegg would not sell it. Missing accessories is one thing, but selling a physically damaged board would be a disgraceful act on their part.

I thought about videoing the opening of the box. I may do so.

Wish me luck!

Thanks!

By the way, here's the response I got from Newegg.

Thank you for your interest in this item. This an open box item which is not replaceable however it is refundable. If the MB is defective you can contact our customer service to create you an RMA for the return with a free shipping label with store credit if you would like that option. We only charge shipping if the item is not defective.

Hope this information helps.

Have an EGGcellent day!

Last edited:
Defective doesn't = bent pins, so if you get it and they're bent unless you have proof you're going to be responsible.

When I bought my board the guys at CanadaComputers opened the box right there and verify that the pins are OK, the first one they brought down wasn't. In the right light you could see 2 pins glimmering at you when the others weren't. I'm just glad they do this for the customer and in front of the customer. They checked whle someone went to the back to get another board and that one had been returned and shipped to them from another store.

Back