• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2-in-1 Gaming Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I am in school for game design and I am looking for a gaming laptop / tablet hybrid. Something that I can use like a tablet while I am in class yet packs the power I need to use as a development tool while I am out and about. I often see these hybrids called a 2-in-1 ultrabook. The problem for me is these usually aren't packing a dedicated GPU, which is a must for me. Is this gaming tablet / laptop just a pipe dream at the moment or is what I am looking for out there?

A gaming tablet is a pipe dream at the moment because of the amount of heat and power it will need.

I'm very happy with a Lenovo Y510P. However, I would also recommend you look into SAGER laptops, but they can also be bulky, but are good laptops for what you are looking for.

Another model you can look into is the MSI GE40.

It would be great to have these 2 in 1 systems but think of the extra costs when it comes to benefits. You can build a >$800 desktop for what a $2000 laptop will get you, due to connivence.

Then it depends what games and platform your working with. Since you mention ultrabook, so Windows, no gaming is not practical as mad hatter said. But if your getting an android tablet, you can play a lot of games such as GTA and racing games. Or if you wanted to just emulate older games, you could probably run a lot of those too, which would always be fun to do when out and about.

It would be great to have these 2 in 1 systems but think of the extra costs when it comes to benefits. You can build a >$800 desktop for what a $2000 laptop will get you, due to connivence.

Then it depends what games and platform your working with. Since you mention ultrabook, so Windows, no gaming is not practical as mad hatter said. But if your getting an android tablet, you can play a lot of games such as GTA and racing games. Or if you wanted to just emulate older games, you could probably run a lot of those too, which would always be fun to do when out and about.

Yes I would be looking at windows. I don't think using Unity on an android device is even possible.

http://www.asus.com/in-search-of-incredible/us-en/asus-transformer-book-trio/

It is an Android and Windows 8 tablet, as well as a Windows 8 laptop / desktop PC.

Not sure how gaming capable it is though.

4GB of RAM will be pretty painful to deal with for development.

I've been doing exhaustive research in this area as of late, and the best you can hope for in a HYBRID is Intel 4400.

FWIW IMHO, the best HYBRID on the market today is the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. $1200 for a Haswell i7, 8GB RAM, a 256GB MSATA 6GB/S Hdd and 3200 x 1800 resolution at 3.1 lbs.

I have not found ANY HYBRIDS with dedicated graphics and the only touchscreen ultrabook* with dedicated graphics Ive found is the Dell XPS 15 XPS15-6842sLV.

The Sager/Clevo NP2840 is the only touchscreen ultrabook* I've found, other than the Dell referenced above, that has 16GB of RAM. Still Intel 4400 Graphics, however. Neither Puget Systems, System 76 nor Sager (all Clevo dealers, in reality) offer, or are willing to custom build a touchscreen ultrabook* with dedicated or Intel Iris graphics.

I'd be happy as a lark if anyone finds an ultrabook* with a touchscreen, Haswell i7, 16GB RAM, 1920x1080 or better resolution and dedicated or Intel Iris graphics.

*EXCLUDING MACS, for obvious reasons.
There are a few NOTEBOOKS other than the Sager and the Dell that have a touchscreen, dedicated graphics and 16GB RAM, but they're all in the 5-to-6 pound range, so are not ULTRABOOKS.

Back