• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Cooler Master Seidon 240M and system won't boot up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

hey guys, i installed the siedon 240m on my comp a bit ago and my system simply won't start up, i have a 750 W power supply so i feel that shouldn't be the problem. My ram is well placed within the comp so i have no idea as to what could be affected :/

Have you got a fan or the water pump attached to the CPU Fan header on the motherboard? If the BIOS does not detect a fan, it will not boot.
Good Luck.

Is there any indication that the board is getting power or that it's trying to boot?

Alright gents problem was solved, i moved my ram to the 2 leftmost DIMM slots and its been working ok and allowing me to OC w/o crashing, yet my HWBOT Prime scores have dropped by almost 400 pts. However, my cinebench scores are holding up better. Does anyone have any idea of who the culprit may be? Also could it be possible i somehow busted the two rightmost dimm slots during the installation? Thanks

Attachments

• OC comparison.png
    OC comparison.png
    639.9 KB · Views: 263
I'd take all but one stick and test each slot individually. It could be possible that a slot is busted. You may also want to test each stick to make sure it's not the RAM that's faulty.

Also, aren't you supposed to stagger the RAM modules? (Have the sticks in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.) If I'm not mistaken, it's required to enable dual channel functionality of your RAM.

Sounds like your memory isn't running in Dual Channel, might want to consult your motherboard manual and see what slots you should be using, then try one stick at a time to rule out a bad dimm/slot.

Alright gents i return with sad news, tried both sticks in dimm slots 1 and 2 to no avail, it'd respond to slots 3 and 4 only, regardless of which stick i used. The Z87-G45 only seems to support dual channel for a 16gig set up using DIMM slots 2 and 4 so i'm very much SOL, or is there any options or tricks you guys recommend?

I have a bad hunch, but I think you need to remove the cpu block and look for bent pins on the motherboard; I hope I'm wrong...

Bent pins where, on the LGA 1150 socket? hell **** no I've already destroyed one MB by trying to clean a tiny amount of silver grease that fell in there once, not about to try my luck again, especially being low on cash. Guess i'll ride it out until i get more money :[

If the mobo is defective, send it back for a new one...there's no reason for you to eat cost on bad gear.

Issue is, it was bought on nov 26th of last year, and idk if MSI would cover this particular case. Also what's MSI turnaround time? because i don't wanna have to send out my board for them to decide if it falls under warranty and be sitting there w/ a useless bunch of stuff :/

Motherboard warranties from MSI are three years, as per MSI's website, so you should be covered on that front. As to turn around time, that's something you should ask them (or maybe post in the mobo board on this forum). When I had to RMA my gigabyte boards (separate instances), they came back in about 2-3 weeks. You should know if it's covered by warranty before you ship it out there though.

FYI: You may have to pay shipping, but if you make a big deal out of it, they may cover it for you (you said money was tight, so that could save you some dimes)

Also can anyone provide me a range of functional temperatures for an i7 w/ a siedon cooler? I had it running prime 95 at 4.5 Ghz (1.3Vcore) and it hit 90 degrees in 20 minutes. Should i gun for 4.3-4.4? Also whats the comfy temperature range for the i7? Thanks

In my experience, 4770K is going to run hot. My 4770K runs prime 95 at 4.4GHz at about 65°C with a 1.25 vcore. If I try to run it at 4.5 it BSOD, yet I can run Intel burn test, Intel Extreme Tuning utility burn test, and AIDA64 burn test, all at 4.5 w/1.25 vcore with temps all below 90°C. On mine if I increase vcore to try to run Prime it get too hot. I am using a Swiftech ultimate HD 220 for cooling. All of these Haswell chips are different. I had to lower my DDR3 speed from 2400 to 2133 just to get my I7 to run through these burn tests at 4.5. Of course that means I was able to tighten up the timings which gave me some of the memory speed back. It is a lot of trial and error with these chips. Also I have turned all C-states off except C-3. Some of us have to, others don't.
Good luck.

Yup, atm I have it running at 4.0 until I have the time to sit down and go trial n error. Also got warranty on it just in case it goes kaput (like my damn board.)

I wouldn't go past 75c-80c. 90c is just too much and at that range you're degrading its longevity. You'll have to tweak the voltage out and go from there and stay within temp range to whatever the chip wants to give you in speed.

I was expecting that range, like i would let it hit 85C, but past that point i'd shut down Prime. I think i'll settle w/ 4.3 for now because at that temp range i usually stayed within the 70's. I got warranty on it for the reason that i knew i was going to push it, also I'm certain it'll probably be competitively outdated within the span of the next 2 years (length of warranty i paid for).
Thanks for your input jack! Btw in regards to that cable management complaint you give me a couple of months back, its way better now due to the simplicity of the closed loop cooler vs. the cable-fest i had running the EVO on push-pull

Edit: forgot to extend my thanks to everyone who chipped in through the dynamic expanse of problems i brought forth on this thread lol :'(

neg White, i think ill just purchase a new mobo and send the G45 to MSI for refurb as mor7 mentioned. I simply can't afford that down time because i can't do my data processing on this macbook w/o it crashing or heating up to like 90C+ due to the magnitude of the rendering (bending proteins in a vacuum,3D sim takes muscle brah). Think i'll look at ASRock or Gigabyte because this is the 2nd MSI board i bust and asus boards don't like my crucial ram (purchased a sabertooth and had to return it because it would only recognize 1 of my sticks, placing the second stick caused a memory error since its only compatible up to 8gigs)

Edit: Actually i just remembered guys, that i was running my ram on my 2nd and 3rd dimm slots for a while and it would route it as dual channel.... This makes me further confused because the MOBO manual said to run them staggered as aforementioned by white :/

Last edited:
Back