• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade in a silly situation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

Feels strange being back here after so long...

Anyway my sig is slightly wrong now but I'm looking to get a bit of game performance going on it. I know I am limited because of the rest of the hardware but I'd like your input on my thoughts and any suggestions otherwise would be appreciated.

I have:

Q6600 at stock 2.4
Asus P5N-E (32? I can't remember)
PNY 620 Graphics
8GB DDR2
60GB SSD
21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor

Yeah I know. It's six years old for most of it! I'll be upgrading some parts in the next year though.

It's the graphics card I'm looking to upgrade as that is a temporary card after my 8800GTS 320MB died last year. I'm not looking for a gazillion fps in any game just something better than the 25 fps in BF4 at 1366x768 with everything set at low.

The motherboard, CPU and memory are the future upgrades along with a 128GB SSD for program's/games drive. The 60GB will be used purely for Windows 7 and the user folders.

So I've been looking at some graphics cards. I know the motherboard I have only does PCI-E 1.1 but in benchmark tests for the range of cards I am looking at this means a typical difference of 70 fps instead of 72 (on other games, not BF4) It's the 650 range I've seen around the web but I'm torn on its variants because of my budget. I have around £100, maybe £110 or £120 at a real stretch but I obviously don't want to spend £20 more for a better cards if the system can't use anything of the difference anyway.

My questions are:

I know the PCI-E bandwidth is going to limit the card but would it still be worthwhile to get a 2GB card with the future upgrade in mind?

Are any of the 650 range a waste of money for the current system build now but not worth it for a future build?

Are there any other cards in my price range that could meet my expectations for now and in the future?

Check out the 750Ti. Just came out.

Super low power draw, outperforms the PS4 and XBone.
2GB vRAM.

You know what, I hadn't even considered those for an iota.

The power consumption wins it alone!

I should be able to shoot for full HD gaming on about medium settings with the latest games with that.

You know what, I hadn't even considered those for an iota.

The power consumption wins it alone!

I should be able to shoot for full HD gaming on about medium settings with the latest games with that.

Yeah, depending on your FPS target you could probably run High as well.

Back