• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel graphics vs. discrete GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
so i wanted to do some comparisons between my graphics card and intel graphics. what's the best way to disable the discrete card without removing it?

I mean I don't think I can just switch the monitor cable back and forth between the GPU and the mobo graphics connector. on reboot would it just use whichever graphics option that is connected as long as they are both enabled in BIOS?

i guess i could do some experimenting, but thought i would get some direction here first.

uninstall the drivers, then restart, install the new drivers for the intel. if its disabled in the bios enable it, then install the intel drivers. then start using the intel, then go into the device manager and disable the other display adapter.

Its a HUGE difference man.. HUGE. While I don't think there are any head to head comparisons against the 770, its big.

As far as your actual question, enabling the onboard and plugging the cable into it will isolate the iGPU from the GPU.

doesnt win7 only support one driver for video cards, as in cant have both intel and nv installed at the same time? wouldnt drivers left installed when going to intel vs nv cause some kind of issue?

I don't think so, but not 100% sure. I recall being able to switch to onboard via the bios, but perhaps a basic VGA driver was installed instead of the actual Intel driver...?

EDIT: I take that back. I know with an AMD card its possible as I did it in my HTPC. The onboard, regardless of any discrete GPU drivers installed would flake, forcing me to use the other and I went back and forth between them. So for AMD it was seemingly ok...not sure about NVIDIA.

Its a HUGE difference man.. HUGE. While I don't think there are any head to head comparisons against the 770, its big.

As far as your actual question, enabling the onboard and plugging the cable into it will isolate the iGPU from the GPU.

yea i know it is certainly not a fair fight. i was just curious to see how they compared while running some games. see what settings are tolerable on the iGPU and what not. this way i can form my own opinions on the subject

thanks

Review sites have done this... although again, not compared to a 770... here is a link for you: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_4770K_Haswell_GPU/3.html

those are some big differences :eek:

doesnt win7 only support one driver for video cards, as in cant have both intel and nv installed at the same time? wouldnt drivers left installed when going to intel vs nv cause some kind of issue?

right now i have both enabled in device manager and both drivers installed. i havent seen any issues.

i think i'll just have to play around with it.

Back