• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help with overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Russian Волк

Hello, I am new to overclocking as it never really seemed necessary, but now my once top of the line machine is beggining to chug a little. Rather than pay for an upgrade I would prefer to simply overclock my processor. My specs are as follows:

Processor: 2,93 gigahertz Intel Core i7 940
Motherboard: Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T DELUXE V2
RAM: 12 gigs
Hard Drive: 300 gig HDD and 1 TB HDD
Video Card: GTX 295 Dual card
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2443BWT
Power supply: 1000 watt

I read that people have been getting 3,8 gHz overclocking on air and I was wondering if somebody could provide some general settings that would get me close to or at that number. I would prefer to not increase voltage as much as possible, but I understand there will be some need for it.

As a side note I use ASUS EPU 6 engine software regularly to conserve power and wonder how that would affect overclocking.
Thank You!

You did not include anything about the CPU cooler you are using in your list of components. Is it the stock cooler that comes boxed with the CPU?

Russian Волк;7678837 said:
Hello, I am new to overclocking as it never really seemed necessary, but now my once top of the line machine is beggining to chug a little. Rather than pay for an upgrade I would prefer to simply overclock my processor. My specs are as follows:

Processor: 2,93 gigahertz Intel Core i7 940
Motherboard: Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T DELUXE V2
RAM: 12 gigs
Hard Drive: 300 gig HDD and 1 TB HDD
Video Card: GTX 295 Dual card
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2443BWT
Power supply: 1000 watt

I read that people have been getting 3,8 gHz overclocking on air and I was wondering if somebody could provide some general settings that would get me close to or at that number. I would prefer to not increase voltage as much as possible, but I understand there will be some need for it.

As a side note I use ASUS EPU 6 engine software regularly to conserve power and wonder how that would affect overclocking.
Thank You!

You will want to disable the EPU when overclocking. And stop using that software entirely. Overclocked systems will consume more power than non overclocked systems. If you are concerned with paying more for electricity, overclocking is not for you in my opinion.

The guide that was linked is all you need to know. You should be able to get 4Ghz. Possibly even 4.2Ghz out of your CPU if you get lucky and have a good one.

Make sure you have a good aftermarket cooler for your CPU like a Noctua NHD14 or NHD15. Or, if you like liquid cooling (I don't), a Corsair H80i or H100i.

Back