• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newjersian1

Registered
I did a bad thing.

I shipped my desktop from colorado to alaska through ups. I removed the gpu and harddrives before shopping but did not have enough room to take my cup cooler (hyper 212 evo) with me aboard the plane. I left the cooler installed.

When I received the shipment today the motherboard was loose inside the case. I have no idea how it worked itself free. Most of the cables that were connected to the motherboard at the time of shipment are now disconected. the back of the board has several scratches from where the mounting pins rubbed against it. the board is also slightly bent, not an extreme amount but it is noticeable. The cpu cooler can now be twisted and it would be easy for it to twist enough to bend the mounting pins or to press against the ram sticks.

The last thing I noticed is that the plate and board under the cpu is bent. Again, its not a large amount but it is noticeable. (Oddly it is not bent out, as I would have thought from the weight of the cpu, but rather it is bent towards the back panel.)

Does anyone have experience with shipping insurance as it pertains to computer damage? I specified a high enough value for the shipment to cover replacing the whole computer but I am hesitant about filing a claim as I would have to prove that there is "damage" and ups' definition of damage might be something like "everything is smashed to tiny little bits."

I am also hesitant about turning the computer on to see if it still functions. I fear that there may be damage to the cpu/mobo/ram that may damage the rest of the components when power runs throug them. I have little to no experience with damaged electronics. Any and all advice is appreciated. My biggest concern is the curve under the cpu. Is it safe to start?

I wouldn't start it up quite yet.

As for UPS insurance... I have no idea.
Something tells me they won't consider that a lot of damage.....

Back