• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC a 386

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

I'm just kidding.. :geek:

I bought a 386 on eBay because I thought it would be cool to have one. The link is the one I got. It looks to be in good shape, no bent pins or anything. What do yall think? Am I crazy?

Looks like a good chip. It's the DX so it has the math co-processor built in. I don't recall what options you have to OC this chip. Of course, you need the rest of the system to go with that chip.

At work, we had kept a few 286 computers around to interface with a mainframe computer that we have been trying to get rid of for years. When one of the interfacing PC's goes bad, we have to have a 1:1 replacement. We can't upgrade those PCs even a little. E.G. A Pentium (1st gen) is too fast and will not talk to the mainframe even with the appropriate interface cards. The real issue is that when it came time to to implement the new old stock, no one could remember how to do the basic stuff with a machine of that age. Setting HDD parameters for example. You never have to do that with a modern machine from Pentium and above? For sure when we left IDE and went to SATA, HDD configuration was a thing of the past. That's the kind of thing you'll have fun with if you were to build this out.

Note: When I talk about configuring an HDD, I don't mean master and slave which you have to do with IDE. I mean setting sectors and such. Things that none of us have had to look at in decades.

What do yall think? Am I crazy?
I mean, is this a key chain or? Crazy is using it as intended.....

I kid..... it's cool! Whatchya gonna do with it???????

At work, we had kept a few 286 computers around to interface with a mainframe computer that we have been trying to get rid of for years.
Don't tell the people who want to get rid of the Mainframe, but 3270 Emulators FTW........

Don't tell the people who want to get rid of the Mainframe, but 3270 Emulators FTW........
We have that in spades. I mean we had a computer (286) that connected directly to the mainframe. When an error code would pop-up, this computer would dial a list of people and play a voice recording alerting admins. That kind of thing. To access the mainframe, we use Attachmate's Extra!. The name of the emulator is "Extra!". Turns any high speed computer into a dumb terminal.

No, the machines I'm thinking of are for assisting in administration of the mainframe.

Ah, 80386 - that takes me back! I have been yearning to put a system together with a 51/4 floppy and CGA, maybe EGA graphics to play my Top 10 Solid Gold games. We had a Amstrad PC1512 and then the PC1640 - fond memories.

No, the machines I'm thinking of are for assisting in administration of the mainframe.
What MF do you have? Most have that 1U lappy that slides out for that type of administration. That said, you could also reach that console from the emulator and do all kinds of administrative functions (IPLs, for example, configure/access LPARs, etc.).

I digress, a bit OT. Sorry Tank. :)

Our mainframe was supposed to be shut down about 10 years ago or more. It may finally be shut down in April from what I hear now. As such, we have not maintained the mainframe. Our mainframe sits on the floor. We have a CRT sitting on top of it with a keyboard. The machine itself is large enough that the CRT is almost at a proper viewing angle if you sat a chair in front of it. It's tall like a full tower case but much wider. Lots and lots of cables connected in the back.

We have a lot of specialized software and the people who built that software are no longer around. Many of those folks have passed away sadly. So the mainframe is dying a slow death in our server room. I mean, we still have a Novell version that was released in the 1980's helping shunt traffic from the network to the mainframe. It's bad.

Just to acknowledge the thread-jack, I have seen people drill holes in old CPUs to make key chains, necklaces and so forth. I think that the 386 chip is on a ceramic sub-strait instead of fiberglass.

You know. It might be nice to have a collection of old CPU's hanging on a wall or something. Get a "box" like guys have for displaying shot glasses or golf balls. A grid of sorts to display CPUs. Could be a fun collection.

If you wish to overclock it, then it's the jumper era. As long as there is no limit on the motherboard, then you can set all 16MHz+ more ;) It should be easy to overclock, but it's also easy to burn something that was linked on the same bus (I don't remember exactly what was on that generation, but it should be somewhere in the manuals).

I mean, is this a key chain or? Crazy is using it as intended.....

I kid..... it's cool! Whatchya gonna do with it???????

I have no special plans for it.

You know. It might be nice to have a collection of old CPU's hanging on a wall or something. Get a "box" like guys have for displaying shot glasses or golf balls. A grid of sorts to display CPUs. Could be a fun collection.

That is kinda the idea. Its from an era of really neat history. 1985? I was in the 5th/6th grade

Anyway I love hearing all the memories you guys have of that CPU and similar.
Post magically merged:

I digress, a bit OT. Sorry Tank. :)
No sweat EarthDog.....where ever this thread goes is ok by me. :geek:

I think that case is very nice.
Me too. I may get the one I posted. It seems to have better showmanship qualities.
These may not be what you want but my only intention is to help find alternatives that fit your need better.
Thank you for this! I will poke around some more to see what is out there.
I think that a CPU collection is an awesome idea.
Thank you. Don! You guys are a big help in putting it together.

I will post pics when I get them in my hand.

Edit: I say that because two of the chips I ordered are coming from China...:rolleyes:

I wish I had paid more attention when ordering. Most everything I have ever got from eBay was of the USA.

Last edited:
Looks like a good chip. It's the DX so it has the math co-processor built in. I don't recall what options you have to OC this chip. Of course, you need the rest of the system to go with that chip.

At work, we had kept a few 286 computers around to interface with a mainframe computer that we have been trying to get rid of for years. When one of the interfacing PC's goes bad, we have to have a 1:1 replacement. We can't upgrade those PCs even a little. E.G. A Pentium (1st gen) is too fast and will not talk to the mainframe even with the appropriate interface cards. The real issue is that when it came time to to implement the new old stock, no one could remember how to do the basic stuff with a machine of that age. Setting HDD parameters for example. You never have to do that with a modern machine from Pentium and above? For sure when we left IDE and went to SATA, HDD configuration was a thing of the past. That's the kind of thing you'll have fun with if you were to build this out.

Note: When I talk about configuring an HDD, I don't mean master and slave which you have to do with IDE. I mean setting sectors and such. Things that none of us have had to look at in decades.
The 486 sx was a crippled 486 dx. The 486 had the co-pro. 386 SX was 16 bit where the DX was 32 bit. Both needed an x87 coprocessor.

I got the 386 in the mail today. Should I trim the foam and keep the pins protected?

Attachments

• 386.2.jpg
    386.2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 386.1.jpg
    386.1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231125_160236.jpg
    20231125_160236.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231125_160220.jpg
    20231125_160220.jpg