• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARGB header too close to USB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I bought a set of lights for my build and when I went to connect to the 5V (4 pins with the third one blank) argb header, I could not physically connect to the header because the mobo USB header is too close and the terminal on the lights is too fat. An old Asus board I had used to have an extension block for the front panel pins, I was hoping to find something similar for argb. So far no joy. Does anyone here know of a product I should look into?

Motherboard manual confirms that I am looking at the correct header for argb. Lights are "universal" and look like they match the pinouts.... Except for the fat terminal :(

Edit : https://www.ebay.com/itm/124672206496?hash=item1d070ae6a0:g:8ekAAOSwvdxgbqkv. Here is an exam of the fat terminal (the 4 pin with the blank/missing 3rd pin)

4 missing one.... sounds like a 3-pin header... :p

Joke aside, can't say I've run into that... what board is this and are there any other 3-pin ARGB headers you can use? Most boards have 2 of each in different locations (top of the board and bottom).

4 missing one.... sounds like a 3-pin header... [emoji14]

Yeah, not too familiar with argb tbh. I believe this is a 5v header. The pcb is etched with 'addressable rgb' right underneath this header. There are 2 pins with a space before the third pin located at the bottom of the board (which matches the pattern on the lights) . There is also another RGB header with 3 pins in a row (none missing, no space) to the left, but my lights do not have a terminal with that pinout pattern

Mobo:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570M Pro4/index.asp

Lights :

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Com...oo+argb&qid=1631206310&sprefix=Airgoo+&sr=8-3

The 3-pin is ARGB - addressable and runs on 5V, while the 4-pin RGB is 12V. Here's some good info on the differences - https://everyhometech.com/addressable-vs-non-addressable-rgb/

Ok, so that's a mATX board and one of the least expensive X570 boards out there so it only has one of each in one location...booooooo. You're using the grey 3-pin ARGB header (red arrow) and the Thunderbolt header shroud (green) is in the way, correct?

1000words.jpg

Man, that's a bad board design. Typically there are a couple/few mm between the headers themselves and the next header over. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any cables that have a thinner 'head' on it to fit. You could try to wiggle off the TB shroud or maybe even taking a Dremel to it and shave the side down/off that's giving you fits.

yep. trying to plug into the red arrow and being blocked by the green. I am going to contact Asrock about this. Unless there is some kind of extension there is no way that design could work. I had hoped I was missing the proper header elsewhere on the board or something (pretty sure I am not), but as it sits there just is no room for the plug to hit that header. I can do surgery if truly necessary, but that is really only something I would do with a second hand board on an old system, not my 'flagship' device. I will update if Asrock gives any positive news. Thanks

Update regardless. Here's to hoping they have a quick solution for ya. Otherwise, you'll need to scan amazon or your etailer of choice to see if you can find a different shaped header on an extension.

That sucks. :(

EDIT: You can also perform surgery on the RGB strip too...shave off some of the connector. Those are disposable compared to a motherboard. :thup:

Update regardless. Here's to hoping they have a quick solution for ya. Otherwise, you'll need to scan amazon or your etailer of choice to see if you can find a different shaped header on an extension.

That sucks. :(

EDIT: You can also perform surgery on the RGB strip too...shave off some of the connector. Those are disposable compared to a motherboard. :thup:

Yeah that is what I would do and you only need an exacto knife...You can always replace the end.

Exactoknife FTW! I'm still going to contact asrock to see what they have to say about this. There do not seem to be other forum factors for this type of lighting. At least not that I can find using 'argb extension' ; 'argb adapter' ; 'argb pin extension'. Any other search terms you guys can think of? Before I get too upset with asrock (depending on their reaction of course) I would like to make sure that some solution/product really does not exist. If these terminals are as standard as they seem to be, then there is no excuse for this problem.

As I write this though, I realize I should have grabbed the micrometer to take measurements before whittling down the terminal. Perhaps this brand is on the bulky side of the standard or uses thicker plastic. Ah, well, we will see what the manufacturer says. Just glad to have a solution, however DIY it may have been

but then you guys will see that I'm still running the 7850 in my sig as the GPU ..... oh well cat is out of the bag. Pics coming when I have a minute to grab and post them :D

Started speaking with asrock, asked them if a) they could see any problem with the lights I chose and b) what would they recommend as 'known working'. Idk if I should expect a response before Monday (or even later), but I will update when I get a response

Back