• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC a 386

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 16-bit ISA bus perfectly matched the I/O bus of the 8086 and 80286. Without the PCI bus or EISA or AGP or IBM's microchannel arch. there was no point in having a 32-bit I/O bus.

Last edited:
When did "MMX" enter the fray? Was it the Pentium 200 MHz? That was touted as a "game changer" for... uh... gaming.

I seem to remember some 80386dx motherboards had the ability of changing the frequency of the FSB(?) from 33 Mhz. to 40 Mhz. but the problem w/that was the LLC resided on the motherboard and might not like being overclocked and I think changing the FSB also overclocked the ISA bus as well.

Last edited:
@Tank Geek
Could that sticker be something the retailer or etailer might have added? I don't think Intel would ever put a sticker like that covering the part number and serial number.

Not sure what it is... but... I can't imagine a re/etailer opening up a sealed package to put something on the bottom of the processor like that. That was like, 30ish years ago, lol.
Back then, CPU's actually came in plastic trays, not boxes. There was no retail box for CPUs and they were expensive. I couldn't afford anything better than a clone IBM XT and I worked in IT. My company gave me a modem for remote work because even those were expensive.

I remember I was at a mom&pop computer store (there were lots of those around in the 1990s) and some guy walked in off the street w/a Pentium Pro and tried to flog it for a couple hundred bucks, cash only. I was tempted because the Pentium Pro retailed for $1000 back then (over $2k in today's dollars), but I didn't have a motherboard or the RAM for it so I had to pass.

Last edited:
I went digging in my CPU box & pulled out 3 old ones.
486 DX-50
486 DX2-66
Pentium 233 MMX
I found the 486 DX2-66 has a HiQ sticker (company that sold me the CPU) on the underside. It also has the single square pin base like your CPU.
DSC00077.JPG

I'd really be impressed if someone had found a working DEC Alpha (the world's first Ghz. processor from a company that is now D-E-A-D). When I worked in IT back then DEC was a big well known computer company that specialized in scientific computing. Intel had nothing on DEC back then, but times were already changing, the word processing and spreadsheet programs that ran on DEC's VAX systems were primitive in comparison to similar PC based programs. The one big thing DEC had going for it back then was email. The only system that could do email in the entire hospital and even the gods of computing, the IBM mainframers needed to use the VAX to do their email.

I went digging in my CPU box & pulled out 3 old ones.
486 DX-50
486 DX2-66
Pentium 233 MMX
I found the 486 DX2-66 has a HiQ sticker (company that sold me the CPU) on the underside. It also has the single square pin base like your CPU.
View attachment 363942
That is cool that you have a cache, so to speak, of parts like that sitting around. Thanks for sharing.

Back