• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal for Intel systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Specs are in my sig.

I've been discovering lately, after years of being an AMD overclocker, how different Intel systems behave.

What has been really surprising to me is to learn that as I raise the clock multiplier, vcore is also increased automatically, even when the LLC setting remains the same. Not sure I like that. I'd rather experiment and find out myself how much more it needs to be stable.

The other thing that's confusing to me is that when I go to supplement the vcore with the offset it seems to disable the LLC such that my vcore is actually lowered rather than increased when I add a small offset instead of leaving it on Auto.

if your using some auto-overclocking software it does that.... best imo to do it manually, keep raising the clock speed till its unstable then raise the cpu voltage. LLC is to help keep the cpu voltage more stable, when you increase the offset, that allows a minor swings in either direction. it would make sense that LLC gets disabled since its job is to keep it from swinging around so much.

No, I'm not using any overclocking software. Just increasing the clock multiplier from (for example) 44 to 45 seems to cause a fairly big jump in vcore while making no other changes. Overclock mode is is set to "XMP". I'm an experienced overclocker with AMD systems so know what LLC is for.

if the vcore is still set to auto it will do that when you up the multi set the vcore to a set number then it'll swing with in the LLC limits. Dp that until unstable at your multi and then up as needed.

vDroop and vDrop. vDrop is from the BIOS to Windows. If you set it to say 1.35v in the BIOS, it will generally drop to about 1.33v (depending upon the board) in Windows. Its not as bad as it used to be, but it still does exist. Those old P35/P45 chipsets were bad.

vDroop will be when it loads up the CPU. Depending upon which setting of LLC you have it set to (some boards allow multiple choices), it could drop from that 1.33v down to around 1.31v OR I have seen some boards using an extreme LLC setting actually go up in voltage slightly (1.33v will see 1.34v when being loaded).

Unless you are doing a very mild overclock, I would strongly suggest not using the AUTO feature on the voltage. Set the voltage manually and test for stability. I will usually set my LLC to the highest possible option (some people say this hurts in the long run but there is no proof of this).

well vDrop isnt from bios to windows, its what set in the bios to what the cpu actually gets. vDroop is the voltage difference between Idle and load on the the cpu.

Yea, it sounds like you have a vcore setting on auto or adaptive somewhere. You are letting the motherboard decide.

Yes, the vcore was on Auto. What confused me was when I took it off Auto I had to add a significant amount of offset in order to get the vcore back to the levels that it was on Auto with the same LLC level. Go it sorted out now and was able to move LLC back one notch and find the right amount of offset to add to get it Prime stable at 4.5ghz but with lower voltage and temps.

Last edited:
^^^ So what do you think about your P8P67 Deluxe? Do you like it better then your previous board?

It does seem as if the motherboard over volts a lot when voltage settings are on auto. My turbo 30 feature in bios with my board in sig, sets 4.7ghz and 1.480v. However this may be a high voltage, the board does remain stable.

But dude.... who really overclocks with voltage on auto?? Anu experienced amd guy should know better. :chair:

^^^ So what do you think about your P8P67 Deluxe? Do you like it better then your previous board?

Definitely. The 8+2 power phase with the big heatsinks on those components really makes for a cool running board.

It does seem as if the motherboard over volts a lot when voltage settings are on auto. My turbo 30 feature in bios with my board in sig, sets 4.7ghz and 1.480v. However this may be a high voltage, the board does remain stable.

But dude.... who really overclocks with voltage on auto?? Anu experienced amd guy should know better. :chair:

I assumed the LLC function and the CPU Voltage Offset option were two different controls operating independent of each other but in reality such that taking the Offset off of Auto would simply amend what the LLC setting was doing. In realty the CPU Voltage Offset option is just another name for LLC. When Offset is on Auto then LLC controls the CPU voltage supplement entirely. When Offset is given a manual value then then it controls the CPU voltage supplement entirely. This is different than my experience with AMD boards.

Last edited:
LLC does not add voltage. All LLC does is help prevent vdroop (although on certain boards, it may SLIGHLY raise it on the highest setting, but not always). It does nothing more than ensure the CPU is getting its proper voltage when the CPU loads up. Way back when before boards had LLC, the CPU would need say 1.35v and when it would come under load, the voltage would drop to 1.325 and cause instability.

LLC is now a feature on most boards to prevent this. It does not add voltage.

LLC does not add voltage. All LLC does is help prevent vdroop (although on certain boards, it may SLIGHLY raise it on the highest setting, but not always). It does nothing more than ensure the CPU is getting its proper voltage when the CPU loads up. Way back when before boards had LLC, the CPU would need say 1.35v and when it would come under load, the voltage would drop to 1.325 and cause instability.

Yes, but it has to add voltage to do this. I'm talking about adding voltage to the droop and the drop levels.

Let me put it another way. If for instance I had LLC set to Ultra High such that the end result under load was a vcore of 1.37 then I would have expected it to become 1.375 if I went back into bios and changed CPU voltage offset from Auto to +.05. Instead, changing the offset to +.05 resulted in a much lower vcore under load, one that was not stable. In order to get the vcore under load back up to what it was when offset was on Auto I would have to make the offset something like +.085. My mistake was assuming that changing the offset from "Auto" to +.05 would simply add .05 to what the Auto offset had already been using the given LLC level. What was actually happening, however, was that taking Offset off of Auto completely reset the value to "0" such that I had to add in not only the .05 increase I wanted in final vcore but also whatever Auto had been adding already. [Edited]

I also think it needs to be said that although it is true the original intent of LLC technology was to correct vdroop and vdrop, in actual practice it is implemented very differently by different manufactures and even differently from board to board with the same manufacturer. On some of my AMD boards invoking LLC actually overcorrects for vdroop and vdrop and gives a final result vcore that is actually higher than the VID in bios.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I understand what youa re saying. I thought you were stating that LLC was adding voltage ABOVE what it was set to.

Yeah, thats why AUTO voltage just shouldnt be used. Ill AUTO some voltages, but NEVER cpu volt.

Auto volt will scale it with what it needs but there becomes a point where AUTO voltage will not work with higher overclocks.

Ahhh, I understand what youa re saying. I thought you were stating that LLC was adding voltage ABOVE what it was set to.

Yeah, thats why AUTO voltage just shouldnt be used. Ill AUTO some voltages, but NEVER cpu volt.

Auto volt will scale it with what it needs but there becomes a point where AUTO voltage will not work with higher overclocks.

I went back and edited my last post. I think it might clear up for others what was confusing me.

Gonna put this post on the chopping block.

Slightly raising voltag to prevent vdroop, is still raising voltage.

I think Trents is saying something like, the llc will raise voltage but taking the offset from auto to manual it causes llc to either not raise voltage, or sets voltage to only offset settings.

Manual input, llc not needed under 4.6ghz. The cpu shouldnt need it if droop is miniscule.

Back