• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung SSD 850 PRO Solid State Drive review list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would you see a difference between the 850 pro and the 840 evo in day to day computing? (i.e. windows start up, opening programs, etc)

Not much if at all I wouldn't suspect.

Agreed. I read several of those reviews yesterday and they all report about the same, i.e., some tasks are faster but for an everyday user you won't notice vs. the 840 or various other later model SSDs.

To me the big wait will be for the PCIe SSDs. Not that most folks will be able to utilize the throughput, but my thinking is that the chipsets, MB configuration, and vendor successes will all go through some pretty remarkable changes.

M.2 looks promising, wish more drives were out for it.

There is already a decent selection to choose from, however most are still as 'slow' as its SATA3 limited counterparts. Im more for the speed of it than having 40 to choose from personally.

I certainly could have been more definitive in my previous post. As I posted "to me the big wait" is more of an implication that I'm waiting, not that the industry isn't already producing. The drives that are available are a bit over $1.00/GB in price, some pushing $2/GB which isn't too far out of where SATA SSDs were priced a year or two ago. And the PCIe performances are already quite drool worthy. Certainly they are taking advantage of the decent supply of NAND that's now available as well as mature controllers. I guess I'm waiting on literally every vendor out there to be winding down their SATA offerings and ramping up their PCIe offerings. That will result in some serious competition in PCIe SSDs which us common consumers will benefit from. And I think it will happen fairly quickly. I hate to forecast but $1/GB or less on average by this time next year wouldn't surprise me. PC parts producers of every ilk seem to be amazing us with greater frequency than occurred 20 years ago. And further, it will push the development curve a bit steeper, quicker, as each of them tries to maintain the Edge.

ramble, ramble........:cool:

Not much if at all I wouldn't suspect.

I'm also not sure but it will obviously be nowhere near the difference between any 7200rpm drive and an 840 EVO.

Even the XP941 which is a PCIe drive and obliterated everything it was faced against http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/samsung-ssd-xp941-review-the-pcie-era-is-here ...is it really going to change things for the desktop enthusiast? Power usage and small form factor are cool but really, really small details in our huge towers with huge video cards.

The speed? I dunno, is it really going to make a noticeable impact? I suppose it could but I dunno. I feel an 840 Pro is going to be dating itself for a verrryyyyyyyy long time.

The best news about the 850 to me is the release of a 1TB drive. Some of us aren't big fans of how the EVO gets a few of its numbers, and the 840 pro's biggest offering was 512GB.

Still, pricey.

I don't see the point to new SATA models at all, unless they're going to go past 960GB / 1TB at the <$0.50/GB prices. They're already saturated the bus, and the consumer-level endurance is already probably beyond most cheaper spinning drives. Sure, 40nm endurance is great for petabyte-scale SANs, but if they're not going to increase the capacity-per-drive, what's the point?

I was mad about having bought an 840 evo until i saw the price of the 850. $280 for 512gb and it probably feels just as fast. i'm good. still sounds pretty sweet.

i just got a 840evo to replace a ocz vertex 4 (going to be used in my old rig). hopefully in the next year or 2 they will come out with some faster m.2 drives so my extreme6 board will be worth it. i won't be running dual gpu's for a long time, if ever so the pci lane loss doesn't matter.

can run current m.2 ssd's on the ultra m.2 slot and get a nice boost over the standard m.2 slot.

I got a 840Pro 512GB a wee bit ago just to get a larger drive in the system. IMO overall its been going well for me. With that being said, overall not disappointed by my purchase. Sure a newer model would of been cool but it isn't bad ;) Still just as speedy. Either way the Ultra M.2 is where its at ;) Unless you go full out PCI-E.

All these new SSD are bringing nothing really new to general performance. Check performance in tests like PCMark8 so based on a popular applications and you will realize that in daily work almost nothing has changed in past 2-3 years. PCMark8 storage test is passing in over 1h on all drives, +/- 10 minutes on most popular drives while most of them have 190-210MB/s average bandwidth. These are the numbers you barely see in daily usage.

Also at home what counts is sequential and random read. Write is not important as everything is cached anyway and you barely see difference between 100MB/s 64GB Crucial M4 and 512GB Samsung 850 Pro in anything else than synthetic bandwidth tests.

The only good side of 850 Pro that I see is 10 year limited warranty. If they give so long warranty then they have to be sure about reliability.

There are also other improvements but I think that biggest issue was reliability of earlier SSD series than performance.
I don't think anyone needs M.2 SSD as they're bringing only higher sequential bandwidth what can be achieved with 2x SATA SSD in RAID0 ( can fail in similar way too ). So far I haven't seen any M.2 SSD with higher than ~40MB/s random 4K read so the same as standard SATA SSD.

Last edited:
meh my plextor was getting ready to die and the 500gb samsung was less than i paid for the 256gb plextor not that long ago so i went for it. the extra space is nice.

I think what intrigued me the most about the 850 pro was the 10 year warranty and the type of NAND samsung has developed for the drive. This type of tech should mean cheap and reliable storage is on the horizon.:cheers:

$0.02

Back