• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung SSD 850 PRO Solid State Drive review list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm mostlly interested in the next big leap in small file read speed. if they can get to 100mb/s 4k read that would be pretty impressive.

+1 that is the roadblock I would like to see worked out.

I was even considering getting intels new enterprise drive SSD the P3600, anandtech reviewed the P3700. P3600 nvme drive with 2600 mb/s read speed and 1700 mb/s write.

Then read the anandtech review specs:

Small block random read operations have inherent limits when it comes to parallelism. In the case of all of the drives here, QD1 performance ends up around 20 - 40MB/s. The P3700 manages 36.5MB/s (~8900 IOPS) compared to 27.2MB/s (~6600 IOPS) for the SATA S3700. Even at a queue depth of 8 there's only a small advantage to the P3700 from a bandwidth perspective (~77000 IOPS vs. ~58400 IOPS)

Bottom line, in my normal use I wont be at QD8 much, wouldnt be any faster than my current SSD, except larger file transfers. And not worth hassle of getting mobo/platform that doesnt limit speed. If P3600 had 100mb/s 4k read, i would have gotten it and platform to make it work.

Back