• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another 4790K heat issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fortunesfool

Im running Asus Maximus VII hero, 4790K, Corsair H100i.

And this thing seems like it is cooking! Im pushing 60c just running world of warcraft...The fans on the H100i are screaming the entire time and it drives me nuts.

Prime95 seems to smoke this thing so bad that I'm afraid to let it run for longer than 5 min.

This cooler Seems like a P.o.S if you ask me. Just cheaply made. What kind of P95 temps should I be looking for with everything set @ stock? Literally everything is set as stock rite now except for my ram frequency. This is my first intel chip so I am kind of out of my element here. I'm running the stock bois on this board 0609 because I am afraid to Updated it. I flashed the first Hero VII board I received from new egg to the latest version then the LAN adapter went out. So I'm scared to update the 2nd one <Dont think It would make much difference in the CPU thermal department though>. Also I'm not really noticing the turbo move around as much as it used to, it pretty much just sits around 4390mhz.
I read in another post from Caddi Daddi to set voltage from auto to 1.25 although that was on a different board.

Here is a screenshot of about 45 seconds of P95. HWMonitor reported the CPU Vcore going no higher than 0.8...which im assuming is a false reading or something? CPUZ is reading that my Vcore sits @ 1.199 while running P95. Just seems like an AIO cooler suich as the H100i should be doing a better job than this?

Also is this a correct reading on my DRAM timings?? seems weird.. 313 tRFC

Attachments

• ****.PNG
    ****.PNG
    114.6 KB · Views: 946
  • Ramtimings.PNG
    Ramtimings.PNG
    48.2 KB · Views: 726
66C really isn't bad for full load, that gives you about 20C of room to go for overclockability.

What are your ambient temps in the room?

Are you sure you have a good mount on the cooler? If you put your hand on the pump/heatsink do you feel water moving through it and it vibrating a bit? If you push down do the temps improve?

I would look and see how many bios revisions you are behind on the board as well and consider updating again, despite the previous issue.

I assume you are using the latest versions of CPU-Z and HWMonitor?

Like Janus said this isn't your AMD set-up. You can run the core temp up to nearly 90c and be fine. I'll warn you though that P95 will get really hot about 20 minutes or so into the test so when testing let it run for a while before upping the voltage.

Yes latest versions of both programs CPUZ/HWmonitor. I have remounted the cooler 2x and its been the same outcome every time. Pumps seems to be running when I feel it and When I pushed down on it while running p95 it did not improve temps. that 66c under full load was only about 45 seconds long. If it did 20min of P95 Blend and only hit 66c then I would be happy. I left it on long enough to see 90c one time then I shut it down. It was less than 5 minutes before that happened. Ambient temp in the room is about 75F.
Case airflow seems good, I have 2 240mm fans pulling air from front. 1 240mm fan exhausting out the top with the H100i mounted at the top pushing air out. Also a 140mm back exhaust fan.

Maybe try it once with the side cover off and see if it makes a difference. I'm always leary aboyt how much air those 200= fans can actually move. Have you changed any voltages ?? Bios settings?

I haven't changed anything. All I did was set my boot priority and DRAM frequency. Does your CPU frequency bounce around a lot when not under load? Mine used to idle way lower when the power wasn't needed, but now it almost seems like the turbo is turned off and its running @ 4.39Ghz pretty much the whole time. Ill run a P95 test and see how long I can go before I start getting too hot. If this is normal then i may just have to adjust my fan profiles so they don't scream at me while I'm gaming. Although they wouldn't be screaming at me if they didn't have to be rite..?

Running P95 now and got up to 72c only 2 minutes in, but that seems to be the high point. usually staying between 65-70c I will let it run for a while and see how bad it gets. Iv actually got the side panel off rite now, If the test goes well I may have to put it back on and test again see how much of a difference it make if any.

Last edited:
Right, so you do have the fans cranked up? I would disable turbo and just see how it does at stock with a locked 4.0 clock. The bouncing up and dow is Intel power savings.

Yea my average temp for about the first 10 minutes was around 68c Once I hit the 15min mark of P95blend I jumped up to 81c. Thats where I shut it down. I feel like with this cooler I should be able to run P95 with the processor @ stock settings all day long... Am I expecting too much?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the new DC revision but I don't think there's much difference between it and my 4770k. That being said Mine would run at 4.5 1.32v with a TTAIO but I had 4 different fans on it running supersonic, Mandrake could do the same at 1.25v I think on a loop but his ran hotter than mine even though it was a lower voltage. These CPUs seem to be all over when it come to voltages and temps. 81c is still fine Fortune. Like I said these ones just run hotter than AMD. Around the 90c mark is when you're pushing the limits. Have you tried with the side open to make sure you're getting enough air?

Yes the whole test was with the side panel off. I probably will not run another test with the side panel on. I'm gonna play with some fan profiles and see if I can keep this thing cool without running my fans on full blast. I'm getting 60c while in game so I want to make sure my processor is staying cool, but I dislike the fans screeching the whole time. all the case fans are plugged into the power supply, so the only fans connected to the mobo are the RAD fans and the back exhaust.

Ya I had 4 of these on my thermaltake AIO A bit more oomph than the stock fans.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the new DC revision but I don't think there's much difference between it and my 4770k. That being said Mine would run at 4.5 1.32v with a TTAIO but I had 4 different fans on it running supersonic, Mandrake could do the same at 1.25v I think on a loop but his ran hotter than mine even though it was a lower voltage. These CPUs seem to be all over when it come to voltages and temps. 81c is still fine Fortune. Like I said these ones just run hotter than AMD. Around the 90c mark is when you're pushing the limits. Have you tried with the side open to make sure you're getting enough air?
To this point it seems like these 4970k's from the few non ES chips that have come through here aren't really all that much better then the 4770k's when it comes to heat. It seems some of them just run really hot as I know first hand. Now the 4970k's were supposed to correct this issue but, even with new TIM and the other changes they made to improve the temps, it seems some of them are not unlike my 4770k. As Johan pointed out we did a little comparison of our two chips. His running running the same clock speed as mine where I was using less voltage, on the same motherboard and our ambient temps were the same. His on the TT 2.0 AIO unit and mine on my big H20 loop which is a 700 gph garden pump a 360 rad with 6 fans in push pull and 4 gallons of distilled water his temps were 10-13c cooler then mine. It just seems as if some of these I7 haswells just run hot!

Yea thats pretty much what Iv gotten out of it. They just seem to be a hot operating chip. Im trying to figure out how to keep the damn noise down on my fans. Or rather try to figure out why the Heck they are going full blast. I tried playing around with Q-fan but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Not sure if any of you have experience with this cooler, but im wondering if I plug each fan into a separate 4 pin header on my mobo if it would be better then the way its hooked up rite now which is both fans connected to the pump then the pump plugged into a single 4pin header.

You might have to use corsairs software to control them.

The more I read about people's experiences with IB and Haswell the happier I am that I retroed to a SB 2600k.

The more I read about people's experiences with IB and Haswell the happier I am that I retroed to a SB 2600k.

I tell ya Trents my 2500k is no golden chip but it would run 4.7 on Air all day long, yes it's 4c vs 4c/4T, I run my 4770k at 4.4 with 1.23 Cpu v and it's likely faster then the SB but the I7 sure reminds me of the Fx 8350 I have when it comes to heat!

Yes, I installed the corsair software <That didn't come with the cooler>...and now its running way better.

60c seems to be the highest i get while running wow for a couple hours. I wouldn't dare turning prime95 on and running it overnight..Is my Q fan control going to interfere with the CPU fan settings that I set with this corsair program?

oh, these things run hot???? (yea, they do).
folding at 4.8 cpu, 4.6 cache overnight i see 90c and higher when i check it in the am and i have some big water on it.
the on die vrm seems to be what is driving the temps, so just good airflow through the case is all that's needed, 60c is actually quite cool.

Back