• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What prog for these fancy avatars?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkHawk

I have used ImageReady, but its a pain in the but to do, how does everyone get those highly animated gif's for their avatar?

All I want to do is make an avatar that represents my callsign. I have all the year 2000 Adobe apps, however I can't get Photoshop and Image ready to make that avatar to the left smoothly animated.....

Is there something I am missing. Someone who knows how to use it , would you be willing to do a little tut on it...?

Thanks

Flash is great, ulead gif animater, avatar factory, premiere, after affects, poser is a personal fav, bryce,

anything by metacreations

Other Software is the best forum for this. I used Animation Shop that comes with Paintshop Pro 7. It isn't the best avatar in the world, but it works :D

Remember - avatars must be less than 100k, and if you can get them any smaller then that is a good idea. Mine is about 11k.

I also like the Animation Shop that comes with Jasc's Paint Shop Pro 7...it is user friendly and free for a 30 day trial evaluation...I just reworked this film clip for use as my avatar...Love that SR-71.

:D :D :D

I use Photoshop and Imageready to make all of the avatars I've done. I know what you mean about it being a pain in the butt, but these are not programs for beginners. I have used all of the other ones out there, and I keep coming back to ImageReady. It has the best optimization engine I have seen. I took some real time to learn the programs, though. I think it's been worth it. The final results will validate the effort that it takes to master PS and IR.

I have both of those and have mastered at least PS, however, ImageReady was just something I never used because I never needed to animate something outside of 3D Studio Max or Bryce before, but since I didn't feel like spending the day, just to make an avatar.

On a regular basis, how many frames are required to animate something, and is 17 enough for the color change at left?

Can you point me to a site with ImageReady tutorials?

And while on Photoshop, how good are you at web page interfaces?

darkhawkamd said:
I have both of those and have mastered at least PS, however, ImageReady was just something I never used because I never needed to animate something outside of 3D Studio Max or Bryce before, but since I didn't feel like spending the day, just to make an avatar.

On a regular basis, how many frames are required to animate something, and is 17 enough for the color change at left?

Can you point me to a site with ImageReady tutorials?

And while on Photoshop, how good are you at web page interfaces?

I found the best tutorials in IR's help section. Your avatar has an advatage over some others that means you can use a lot of frames and still have reasonable filesize. The advantage is the fact that a large portion of it doesn't change from frame to frame. To oversimplify, IR's optimization engine will only need to store the data for this portion of the image one time for the whole animation, instead of for once for every frame. As a quick guess, I bet you could easily use more than 30 frames and still have a very small file.

Here is one site I came across that has some very good discussions on optimization. This is the key to getting good looking, but small filesized animations. I can gove you a couple pointers on IR. For instance, it is not like GIF Animator 5 or Animation Shop. It is not brainlessly easy to just drop more images into an animation.

I get the impression that you are making each frame of your animation in Photoshop. The best way to make an animation from those frames is to make a new folder that you save the frames into. Then in IR, do File...Import...Folder as frames. Then things will start to look a little more intuitive. Go to the optimization tab of the open document and to the Optimizer tool window on the right and start tweaking. When filesize and quality are both acceptable, do File...Save Optimized As.

To answer your question, part of my job includes using Photoshop to build web interfaces. I have a lot of experience with it. I make all the usual stuff. Fancy buttons, banners, backgrounds, and anything else I need to. I love PS 6.0's Save For Web action.

One program I don't have that I would love to get my hands on is Bryce 5. I can't really get bossman to spring for it since it's way to much of a stretch to say I need it for work. I've used it a little and have seen lots of things created in it. It's awesome. I have never seen 3D Studio Max before. What exactly does it do?

Now that my fingers and your eyes are tired, I'll wrap this up. The help menu actually is helpful. Just practice a little and you'll get it. I can try and help you if you get stuck. Good luck!

Thank you for the very informative and long reply. I have used Bryce 4 and 3D Studio Max, 3D Studio is also an animator, but its considerably more powerful in the sense it uses a form of near ray-tracing to make its pictures look better. Thank you for the info on IR, I am still learning to use it, but I am also trying at the same time to learn Flash, Dreamweaver and POV-Ray, so I am just a little behind on making GIF's, however I will more than likely get it eventually, not bad for a 17 year old now is it....

Thanks for the help

I'm going to attempt to make an avatar with animation shop. What are the size limitations in pixels for length and width?

Back