• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the hype over AX-7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im gonna order one too, ill compare it against my thermoengine with delta 38,im gonna use the ax-7 with a sunnon 50.6 CFM 40.5 dBA fan:D i hope thats gonna rock

It looks good to me i was gonna get one instead of the alpha i have but i just didn't like their mounting system

I put one on this weekend with a really quiet fan and arctic alumina. I haven't had time to test it under load yet as I was having problems with win98 and via's 4in1.

mbm was reading 41-42c idle so far, my sk6 was running 36c idle but it was soo loud with the 50cfm 60 delta. As long as it stays around/below 45-46c under load, the sunon will stay on there. If it climbs above that I've got a 50cfm sunon and a 68 delta waiting to climb on.

peppy said:
im gonna use the ax-7 with a sunnon 50.6 CFM 40.5 dBA fan:D i hope thats gonna rock

That is exactly what I ordered today. I got it from KD Computers and it was like $49 and change with 3 day select shipping. I placed the order this morning and they already shipped it. :D

Fade

i got of 2 of em and they work really well, then again im also immune to the 68cfm delta of mine so... The only annoying complaint i got over it is is that the clamp to hold it down is weak. If you every move your case, you must recheck the sink, ive seen the asus cop feature actually work when that happened, the sink slid a couple of mm out of alignment screwin up the proc, it got ultra hot and im glad the cop did its job. other than the clamp not holding it precisely, its great!

I'm getting an Ax-7 with my new 1800+ based system. I'm considering the following fans:

Sunon 50 CFM 40 dBA
Thermaltake SMARTFAN 46 (25C)- 53 (35C) CFM 2900-5000 RPM
YS Tech manual adjustable 10-48 CFM 800-3700 RPM 18-40 dBA
Panaflo 47 CFM 38 dBA

Any thoughts on these fans? My roommate has a couple of the Thermaltake SMARTFANs blowing out the top of his case and they aren't too loud. At least they get drowned out by whatever he has on his CAK32.

The AX7 is definitely a great HS and I recommend it highly. Be sure to use Arctic Silver 2 or 3 for best results. You won't get the kind of amazing results that are on the review page unless you can stand to hear a delta80cfm fan screaming at you all the time. (I can't) A rheostat is a very nice thing to have if for these fans so you can dial in performance vs noise to suit your style, which is what I chose to do.

It's a little chilly today, so I've been running at 34C "idle" (normal office stuff...e-mail, word, a dozen windows open, but nothing really stressing the CPU) BUT I get nice temps because I have a duct from the side of my case going right to the Delta fan on the AX7...no recycled case air blowing on it. :D

K1

Bacchana1 said:
I'm getting an Ax-7 with my new 1800+ based system. I'm considering the following fans:

Sunon 50 CFM 40 dBA
Thermaltake SMARTFAN 46 (25C)- 53 (35C) CFM 2900-5000 RPM
YS Tech manual adjustable 10-48 CFM 800-3700 RPM 18-40 dBA
Panaflo 47 CFM 38 dBA

Any thoughts on these fans? My roommate has a couple of the Thermaltake SMARTFANs blowing out the top of his case and they aren't too loud. At least they get drowned out by whatever he has on his CAK32.

The 80mm Delta Focused Flow fans have merits beyond their speed. The static de-spiraling vanes in them produce an air flow that drives down into a resistive media like fins better than a fan that does not have them. If you take the 68cfm model and slow it down to 40, 47, or 50cfm like the ones above, the noise is not nearly as objectionable, yet it still benefits from those vanes. Putting a rheostat on it allows you to tune the speed for the best compromise between loudness and cooling effectiveness. When you're just surfing the web, reading emails, etc, you can turn it down significantly. When you are cranking on a 3D game or other taxing application, you turn it up to suit your needs.

Hoot

Well, the 36cfm fan wasn't cutting it for the ax7, temps got up to around 47 during gaming.

So I just got done mounting the 50cfm sunon, and it's 42 under load and quiet as a dell.

Good god is that thing hard to take off, I had to remove my fan first so I could get the angle needed to move that clip.

I had a Global WIN CAK38 before getting this HS, and the quieter fan has been worth the shift in itself! I'm using a delta HHE, purchased from this site:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tecar.html

That listening room made it so much easier to choose a fan- other online shops should really look into something like it. I've been getting odd temps since installing the AX-7 two days ago. I'll leave MBM5 on for the day whlie I'm out, the computer not doing anything besides running AOL IM and an idle Winamp. Temps clock in around the high 30s (c) to low 40s. Then when I come home and start using the computer, temps drop back down to the upper 20s. I might try reseating the sink tonight or tomorrow to make sure I didnt mess up the Arctic Silver when wrestling with that ***** of a clip...:mad:

Back