• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why get a XP 2000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tigermau

Registered
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but:

Why would anyone get an Athlon XP 2000+?? This processor is already running at 12.5 mult x 133Mhz = 1.67Ghz.

From some of the other posts, Athlon 2000 and below can be unlocked, BUT still attain a maximum multiplier of 12.5. So what exactly does unlocking a 2000+ do, besides the option of underclocking.

How about the Athlon MP 2000. Is that limited at 12.5 mult also? I know the processor is already unlocked, but if I stick that onto this mobo by MSI (sorry forgot the model #) which offers up to 15x multi settings, does that mean I can hit 1995Mhz with the MP before tooling with the FSB?

Thanks.

As far as I understand it, it only gets hard to unlock from the 2100+ and up. The 2000+ should be the same as the other xp's. Unlocking gets you the opertunity to increase or drop the multiplyer settings. So therefore getting better bandwith.

It also depends on the MB to see what you can do with it.

Last edited:
I've read from the other posts that unlocking the 2100 is a royal pain, but it will unlock multipliers above 13x. And unlocking 2000 and lower models will only allow the OC to reach mulipliers of 12.5 max.

My question is if the 2000+ is already running at 12.5 mult, then what good does it do to unlock it?

And seperately, assuming 12.5 mult is the highest it will go, what will happen if you use in a mobo that supports higher mulipliers? Who wins? I'd like to find out without spending the money.

Thanks.

tigermau said:
I've read from the other posts that unlocking the 2100 is a royal pain, but it will unlock multipliers above 13x. And unlocking 2000 and lower models will only allow the OC to reach mulipliers of 12.5 max.

My question is if the 2000+ is already running at 12.5 mult, then what good does it do to unlock it?

And seperately, assuming 12.5 mult is the highest it will go, what will happen if you use in a mobo that supports higher mulipliers? Who wins? I'd like to find out without spending the money.

Thanks.

What good does it do to unlock it? Are you serious? The way MOST People OC is by LOWERING the multi to say 8-10 then cranking the FSB up to 200+. That is what unlocking it allows you to do.

Yes thats right, but the problem is how high your motherboard can multiply by the FSB. So in that case to get it better then stock you use a mult with a highest FSB possible, that is where the money is. Try to up your FSB and then increase your mult. Does that answer anything? Back me up guys.:D

I for one need to unlock asap for better performance!

Whats your computer specs?

Last edited:
hmm....that helps a little.

I thought the idea was to max out the multiplier and then up the FSB, especially since upping the multiplier doesn't affect the PCI divider or conflict with RAM, no?

Is there something I'm not getting? Why lower mult and increase FSB when you can increase both?

tigermau said:
hmm....that helps a little.

I thought the idea was to max out the multiplier and then up the FSB, especially since upping the multiplier doesn't affect the PCI divider or conflict with RAM, no?

Is there something I'm not getting? Why lower mult and increase FSB when you can increase both?

As far as I understand it, the fsb is will give more through- put to the memory giving better performance. Thats why you want to get as much through there first. The multiplyer just sets how many times the fsb it is multiplying. I hope that makes sense I am out of it today.:D

I understand that upping the FSB yields more speed than upping the multiplier alone, but what's the rationale behind lowering the multiplier first (according to nihksub1)?

Is there a physical limitation involved?

Let's say you have PC3000 DDR Ram and you increase the FSB to 166 with a 12.5 multiplier, that would get 2075Mhz right? So why would one want to lower the multiplier to 8 - 10 range?

tigermau said:
I understand that upping the FSB yields more speed than upping the multiplier alone, but what's the rationale behind lowering the multiplier first (according to nihksub1)?

Is there a physical limitation involved?

Let's say you have PC3000 DDR Ram and you increase the FSB to 166 with a 12.5 multiplier, that would get 2075Mhz right? So why would one want to lower the multiplier to 8 - 10 range?
What there saying is, it is better to get as high a FSB as possible because this speeds up all your hardware apposed to speeding up the CPU only... This usually can only be obtained by lowering the multiplier....If you can do it with out lowering your multiplier thats even better..

Ok, here goes:

I have an UNLOCKED 1900, when it is locked it is (12x133). I currently run it at 182x10=1820. To do this with a locked chip I would need to go 151x12=1812. This is the important part: Yes the CPU is running at the same speed (roughly) but the memory is not running as fast as it could and the system doesn't feel that much faster. Seat of the pants fast is felt more in upping the FSB, not the multi! So I could up my multi to 12.5 but then my fsb would only be at 145 which would even give me worse memory speed. If I could, I would run my FSB at 200 (my vid card freaks out at that speed) and my multi at 9. That set-up will feel much faster than the same system running 12.5x145. Hope this helps!

Thanks Guys!
Thanks for spelling it out for me.
I totally get it now.
"Woo-Hoo", said Homer.
:p

Odd? I never had to unlock my AMD Athlon XP 2000+.... It just overclocked with an updated bios from EPoX, and i can just change all the settings in the bios.

Would it improve performence if i unlocked it or linked the bridges using the pencil trick?

-Digital

You can't use the pencil trick on AthlonXP's. They now have pits inbetween that you must fill with non-conductive material. You can change the fsb and voltage and everything, but you can't change the multi without unlocking the cpu. You might be able to change the multi in the BIOS, but the chip won't accept it. The bios will still say it's at a higher multi, but if you use sisoft or wcpuid, they'll tell you the multi is still really at default.

1. Do you have a link for those unlocking instructions?

2. after i change the fsb and multi in the bios, i get a much hotter processor and a much higher frequency reading in the programs (cmos setup, speedfan, etc).

3. Every time i open wcpuid my system crashes/restarts every time....any suggestions?

1)there's a sticky at the top of this thread entitled "the official unlocking thread" or something like that. It should give you the information you need.

2)As I said above, changing the multi in BIOS does nothing unless the chip is unlocked so that's not a factor for you right now. When you increase the speed, you also increase the heat no matter what method you use to do it. What type of cooling do you have? What are your temps at default? While overclocked?

3)When a component increases in speed it's heat increases also(notice the emphasis on this?;)). Now, if a component gets too hot, it ceases to function properly, or , if it gets way too hot, it can burn. There are 3 main hardware reasons for a crash. 1)Heat, this is probably the biggest factor. Without proper cooling, the computer WILL crash. 2) Power/voltage. If a component does not have enough power it will crash. However, know that increasing voltage also increases heat. 3) A component cannot handle the higher speed(plain and simple). If you only use the multi to overclock, it's easy to figure out what's choking on the higher speeds(duh right?). However, when you increase the FSB, everything in the system is running at a higher speed(unless you change the divider) and can take a lot of time/thought into figuring out what's holding you back. that's why it's critical to buy good, quality components that will be able to handle higher speeds.

My guess is your overheating, but I don't know until I found out more info on your system. Welcome to the Boards and Welcome to the world of Overclocking(you'll find it's more of an addiction than a hobby;):D)

Back