• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moding tools?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
ok i know alot of people here use there dremel tool to do case mods but im wondering what bits and such most of you use and any other kind or tool you have found use full

holesaws are the best thing IMO for any fan hole. Dremels are the optimal tool for ANYTHING else. I use the reinforced cut off wheels for all cuts and occasionally use the diamond ones, if the wallet allows it:eek: . After all cuts i use a grinding bit to smooth out all edges and give a clean look.

NASsoccer said:
holesaws are the best thing IMO for any fan hole. Dremels are the optimal tool for ANYTHING else. I use the reinforced cut off wheels for all cuts and occasionally use the diamond ones, if the wallet allows it:eek: . After all cuts i use a grinding bit to smooth out all edges and give a clean look.

Yep, same here. :D :D I've never used a diamond bit though. How good do they work, and are they worth the $$??

NASsoccer said:

I also agree with this...Hole saws for Fan holes....dremel for just about everything else, although I hear a Jigsaw with a nice metal cutting blade does a great job cutting out windows..

The air nibblers work real well for cutting out a window hole in a side panel if you have an air compressor, if not then a jigsaw is the way to go IMHO. The dremels are a nice tool but I personally don't like cutting large areas with a cut off wheel .
Randy

i modded my case with a jig saw (on ordered from black and decker the blate rotates. i modded 3 friends cases after that with my dremel (didnt have a dremel when i did mine)

both work great i would go for a dremel its prob alot easier to get use to and cheeper aswell

thanks for your replies. i did mine with normal dremel cut off wheels it took me the entire tube just to cut out my window. im just wondering if theres a better tool for doing round holes.

When you guys use a dremel to cut out your windows do you cut on the inside of the case door or on the outside. I want to know sowhen i do mine. Is it like a jigsaw when one side is nice and smooth but the other side is kind of rough?

i cut mine on the outside the dremel disk pretty much cuts it evenly. and it doesnt realy matter if its a little rough your going to be putting trim on it anyways

ssjwizard, if you get the fiberglass reinforced discs, i think you'll find that they last a LOT longer... i used the heavy duty, non-reinforced discs to cut one of the front strut springs on my wife's honda and it took like 6 discs, but with the reinforced it took only one to cut the other... not to mention if you slip with a reinforced disc it will NOT shatter and scatter....

yea sometimes i worry about one of those disks shatering and stabing me in the neck or somthing... ill give that a try next time i do a window or somthing. i did this last system and it didnt turn out anything how i wanted it to so i think im just gona put it back in my other case its alot nicer anyways.

sweet mid man... i wish i could say mine was even half as sucessfull... my first mistake was tring to fir my mod into a "value case" you know one of those crappy mid towers that come with a generic 230W psu and the outside metal is all one piece. anyways the paint job turned out realy nice the rest of it sucked *** though well good luck with that system it looks bad ***

Jeniva said:
I hear a Jigsaw with a nice metal cutting blade does a great job cutting out windows..

That's what did mine with....it's the same case as Jeniva almost the same the same kinda window too. and the jigsaw with ametal bit sliced right through it like butter......the only prob i had was getting to the end the thing was vibrating like crazy.....i clamped to a piece of wood and that did it

Back