• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lago Vista High School to start Folding!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
I just talked to my old High School science teacher about F@H. She really likes the idea of Folding. She said she'd check it out and set it up on the 6 computers in her classroom/lab. And that she'd also pass the info around to the other faculty members. She didn't seem to think any permission from the district would be necessary(she's so cool!). I didn't ask about the cpu's of the school's PCs, but it is a small school in a rich district and the computers are pretty new, so I'm guessing that she can get several GHZ of school PC's folding for Team 32. They will probably fold under my name initially, I hope... and may change the name to the name of the school at some point. It might also generate interest among some of the students to start folding on their own pc's.

I only hope she doesn't have trouble setting it up on the school's network. I referred her to our forums if she has any problems. So help her out guys if there are any complications.

Yeah!!!!! Go team 32!!!

Thats great! Just dont pass add so many you pass me just kidding.

Good work on getting them to fold under anyname or team!

Folders

Yeah... I like to pimp out the overclockers teams (3dmark and folding)... We are the best, but only if our members contribute. With my own pc's and my roommates'/friends'/girlfriend's/and old high school's computers all folding... I might be bringing in 10 - 20+ Ghz for Team 32. Hopefully I can get most of these pc's folding within a week.

Of course, I'll post the stats in the "how much do we have folding thread" as they come up. And I expect some of the pc's I get going to be sold soon and a few of my buds to lose interest after awhile, but hey anything to contribute to science and to our Team's stats!

woot!!! awesome job man. keep the computers coming and keep folding man.

didn't you just join?? .. now that is what i call a spuer-active member:)

Folding

Yeah, I just started folding a couple of days ago. I haven't checked lately on statsman or Stanford (I'm not at home right now), but the rig in my sig should've just finshed my 11th Wu for 33 points total.

But I've built a few rigs to sell and am getting all these recruits, so I'll jump up the ranks as fast as I can.:D

Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
Wooohoo!
More folding power! Well done!

Thats just what we need to reduce Rage3Ds lead.....

Security for Folding

Ok, I'm heading up to the school at the beginning of next week... I'm not sure what version of windows those computers are running, so I'd like some options to keep the proxy info away from casual observation by the students who use the science lab's computers.

Folding can be run as a service, so I'd like to set it up like that, and maybe make a hidden or password-protected folder to install it in. What Windows versions can do this?

I'll need to have some options ready when I find out what the school's comps use. I have 98se, 2000pro, and XP home- but am only really familiar with 98 & 2k.

When its running as a service, you can still use Foldmonitor or Electron Microscope, right? Which would you recommend of those two anyway?

I want to do this in a way that won't compromise the school's network. And I also would like to know which monitoring program would be more useful (cosmetically which looks good? and which has more info on the proteins themselves?) should the teacher decide to showcase F@H.

Last edited:
Re: Security for Folding

Arkaine23 said:
Ok, I'm heading up to the school at the beginning of next week... I'm not sure what version of windows those computers are running, so I'd like some options to keep the proxy info away from casual observation by the students who use the science lab's computers.

Folding can be run as a service, so I'd like to set it up like that, and maybe make a hidden or password-protected folder to install it in. What Windows versions can do this?

I'll need to have some options ready when I find out what the school's comps use. I have 98se, 2000pro, and XP home- but am only really familiar with 98.

When its running as a service, you can still use Foldmonitor or Electron Microscope, right? Which would you recommend of those two anyway?

I want to do this in a way that won't compromise the school's network. And I also would like to know which monitoring program would be more useful (cosmetically which looks good? and which has more info on the proteins themselves?) should the teacher decide to showcase F@H.

See here for info on hiding it:

95/98/me: http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/service98.htm
NT/2k/xp : http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/service-nt2000xp.htm

Both:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/consolehide.htm
http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/consolehideit2.htm
http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/HTTP Proxy.htm

b u m p

How's the school project going? Are they folding yet?

Let us know if you need anything, and I can help you with setting up the computer's to run FAH as a service, all of my work computer's are folding this way.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Wedo

Update

I just helped my girlfriend move into a new house. My car is in the shop and the mechanics are stumped.

I start working again in 3 days (Thursday, 18th), with or without my car. If I can make the 45 miles out to my old high school in the next 3 days, I'll get it set up. Otherwise it'll have to wait until next Tuesday or Wednseday(23rd or 24th), my next days off. I'm printing some guides out to try to set it up where the school's proxy info will be safe from students... ie as a service. I'll get online from the science lab if I need any help setting it up. Just gotta get the time and the transportation....

Hey Arkaine, maybe make up some fliers to pass around up there too. Or even better, get one of those bunny suits and stand out at the corner and hand out fliers;) :D

Good luck w/ the school thing and hope you don't get raped too bad by the mechanic, might want to see if walaka7 can resolve your issue if your present mech can't figure it out. He's in your area I believe. :eek:

cursed car

Luckily a lot of parts are under warranty. The car is a Volvo and the problem is fuel delivery/or airflow- so under ordinary circumstances raping would be involved. I had the problem (loss of power randomly and stalling) last summer and got a ton of parts replaced. Now its happening again, but the mechanics don't know what's causing it.

Yeah, I've already recruited some friends to start folding, in addition to the high school computer folding project. I just have to go over to their apartments and set folding up. No time the last couple of days because I've been helping the GF to move. But maybe tonight ot tomorrow....

Folding

I know I've been talking about the folders I want to set up for more than a week now, but tomorrow is the day!!!!

1st thing tomorrow, I'll set up my laptop near an AC unit and let it start Folding. Hoping it can take the stress... 500 Celeron (not OC'd)

I'll head out to the High School tomorrow afternoon and set up F@H on 6 computers in the science lab- about 12 hours from now. ?????? guessing about 4 or 5 GHz worth of Folding power. (not OC'd, but I'll check the bios on each)

Then, before I go to work tomorrow night.... I'll be tweaking/modding 2 of my friends' PCs. They'll run F@H for a month or so as payment for my services. 1.2 Tbird, 750 P3 (not OC'd)

I also have a roommate who might start Folding, but he really needs to clean all the crap out of his WinMe OS. So I have to give him time to back-up everything for a format/reinstall. 933 P3 (not OC'd)

Girlfriend's PC. Am giving her a new case for her b-day in a few weeks- one with a blue cold cathode and window. I'll stick F@H on there as a service. 1.0 Tbird (not OC'd)

Just a guess, but that's about +8.5Ghz of folders for team 32!

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its been set up on 4 computers out at my old school... the fastest 4 of the 6 my science teacher has in her classroom/lab. I saw her today, but very briefly since she was taking her daughter to a track meet. Doh! Bad timing on my part. Anyway, I'm going to email her and make sure she's got everything configured right, send her a copy of Foldmonitor, and ask about the total cpu speed of those 4 new Folding boxes! I can't wait to start seeing those WU's added to Team 32's total! Take that Rage3d! At a guess, I'm going to say I'm now folding with about 7Ghz, but I'll find out for sure in a couple of days...

Back