• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playing with my blocks again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
I finally finished my first acryllic copper waterblock. I used my Foredom flexi shaft grinder and a drill press to mill out the copper and the top is epoxied on. The block has been tested leak proof so I just have to give it a try on one of my systems to see how it fairs against a maze2. I'm hoping this design works well since it took around 5-6 hours to make. I plan on trying a few other designs but I'm open to new ideas.

plexi2.jpg

plexi.jpg

Last edited:
Bender, can you give us some specs for your new block?
I can see where it would take forever to mill it out the way
you did it. Give us your system results.

Nice block Bender. :D Be sure too let us know how it works!!

BTW, Where did you get the copper from??

Fyi- DangerDen has copper blocks on their site and from what I hear the prices are quite good.

Bender looks very nice! How about buying a CNC Mill and starting a business with some other members of the Overclockers.com who makes Blocks :)

Yodums said:
Bender looks very nice! How about buying a CNC Mill and starting a business with some other members of the Overclockers.com who makes Blocks :)

That would be really cool, but do you know how much
a mill costs? You have to sell a lot of blocks to pay for
it. :eek:

Here is the Foredom flexi tool. Mine is bench style with no built in speed control. It has a foot pedal to control speed and a nice aluminum handle on the end of a 3' flexi shaft.
kit.jpg

Foredom

I bought my copper from onlinemetals.com. They have a much better selection than dangerden and they will even cut it to the length you want. I really wish I had a bunchtop CNC but its not going to happen anytime soon.

when i get a job i think im gonna buy a cnc like at my school! its like 2x2x1ft high... and im makin my block there on tuesday, sorry i wont share my pics... not yet anyway... dont want anyone copying my design,

that mill costed like 2000 dolars wich isnt much and its controlled by some old cad prog
i cant wait till i get this thing done!!!

Bender, this looks like a Dremmel Tool on steroids.

How do you keep it from getting away from you?

Here are some early pics of my next creation.

I used a hole saw to cut out the circle. It wasn't quite as big as I wanted it but it was a lot easier than cutting it out with a saw and filing it round. I drilled a few holes in the disc so it was easier to grind the paths.
spiral2.jpg

This is the spiral disc soldered to the .25" copper base. I made sure the solder completely saturated the under side of the spiral. When I was finished I ground the excess solder off making a nicer finish.
spiral4.jpg

Almost forgot. I am going to cut out an acrylic disk to cap off the spiral. I don't have room for normal barbs so I'm using copper tubing instead. Since the acrylic top will be quite fragile with the outlet hole by the edge I'll coat the entire disc area with clear epoxy.

Last edited:
Bender, I like the way you have prototyped on a budget.

This technique has other possibilities. Even if you use
silver solder, I think the heat transfer will be sub-optimal,
but this looks like a great way to investigate stipple
caused turbulence right over the die. I suspect if you
can get enough turbulence and flow right over the die,
the rest of the WB out past say 15mm from the center of the die
center wont make any difference.

Finally got around to testing my new block out. The copper acrylic block cools my XP almost as well as my Maze2. My temps are 0-1c higher than with the maze so I think this was a succses. The epoxy is curing on the spiral block so I won't be able to test it for another day.

Back