• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help removing fan from card epoxy = :mad:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

solidsnakexix

I have tried freezing the card for 15 minutes, didnt work. Ran 3d mark 2k1 for 30 minutes plus didnt work, It is an Ati radeon 7500. Need any tips on how to destroy epoxy, or tips i need help.

-Solidsnakexix :mad:

Is it the original epoxy from ATI or have you used a different epoxy? If its the original and maybe even work for others, Try the freezing trick first. After it gets nice and cold, lay a old credit card or something similar down on the card under the edge fo the heatsink, this will be used for a preying pad. Then use a screwdriver and lay under edge of heatsink and twist the screwdriver up. This will usally work. But use your best judgement as to when to quit applying presure. This is the site where I learned this. There are some picks also you can look at to get a idea. Maybe it will help some. http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/cooling/

Good Luck

Cerial_Killer said:
Is it the original epoxy from ATI or have you used a different epoxy? If its the original and maybe even work for others, Try the freezing trick first. After it gets nice and cold, lay a old credit card or something similar down on the card under the edge fo the heatsink, this will be used for a preying pad. Then use a screwdriver and lay under edge of heatsink and twist the screwdriver up. This will usally work. But use your best judgement as to when to quit applying presure. This is the site where I learned this. There are some picks also you can look at to get a idea. Maybe it will help some. http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/cooling/

Good Luck
Kind of unrelated but thats a sweet avatar.:D

its the original epoxy so ill try your suggestion. thanks for the input.

-solidsnakexix

solidsnakexix said:
its the original epoxy so ill try your suggestion. thanks for the input.

-solidsnakexix

yea, do what that d00d above said, maybe try freezing it longer. left my card in there for like 30mins+. and all i just was a credit card, no screw driver.

This is my expirience when i was helping a friend upgrade his vid card cooling on his radeon with original epoxy.

Freezed it for 15 minutes in a ziplock freezer bag, took a small screwdriver and worked it around the heatsink, dont be too cautious or you wont get it off, then i put a fullsized screwdriver in the inlet i made with the small one and twisted it until it started to give, then i did that all around it, and made one final (fairly forceful) twist and the sink popped off with a most satisfying crack.

Before this i was going very easy on it and it wasnt getting me anywhere. Basically, you gotta' use some force to get it off, while still being gentle enough not to damage the core. Take your time with it and it will work itself off eventually.

Thanks for the input cerial it was exactly what i had to do i got the old sync off and the blorb on and ive oced it, i was wondering is there any program that will let me oc the ram further it doesnt even heat up yetr and its maxed on power strip. I got the gpu like 90 mhz higher wit the blorb. it is 342 t0 306 with the blorb 306 is the ram and i was wondering if their is something that will let me push the ram further.

-solidsnakexix

Back