• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused Little Kid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I might add that I right clicked the little red icon and went to full screen and it restarted my computer. I tried twice and it did the same thing both times.

Folding in it's most basic terms(which is all I understand) analyzes how different protiens fold in order to find a cure for some cancers(I know a little more on this but can't explain it very well). You're name and team # are basically a competition that gets people more excited about folding(that's how we use it anyway). You can check stats at folding.stanford.edu or www.statsman.org/folding2stats It's not really a good idea to have the window open because it's been known to crash when it's open. It also slows down your folding when you keep it open. Most people keep it minimized in the tray all the time except when they want to check how far along they are. Hope this helps and Welcome to the fold!

Last edited:
Matthew1001 said:
I don't have an overclocked system. Does this matter?

Nope, not at all. But every extra MHz helps...lol.

The most important things, you already have....Your ID, and Team number... ;)

Keep asking, we'll keep trying to answer.... give the stats page(s) a day or two before you start seeing your name on the Team list...it doesn't always update right away, and may take a day or so.

Fold On!! :beer:

Hitman you mistyped the link to statsman. here it is:

Statsman: http://www.statsman.info/folding2stats/32.html

Stanford: http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=32

I believe statmans stats are down right now but should be back up soon.

The problem with crashing your computer is a problem with F@H and your graphics card. My advice is to just run it with it in the tray and monitor it with Foldmonitor. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/foldmonitor/files/foldmonitor-5.1.3-exe.zip

Or you could download the console ver. 2.19 . Good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask. Please check the links in my sig. One is our F@H page and the other is a contest that will be starting shortly.

Last edited:
WU is the protein in that screen.

As for what it is, well there is info all over the place. Ask me sometime tomorrow, will take some time to type.

Matthew,

You're doing great. You'll soon be on the stats page, and with your AMD, you'll be climbing the ladder in no time. Keep up the good work.

Wedo

oops, sorry about the link messup. I was at college and didn't have time to review my post:eek: I fixed it now;) Anyway, on foldmonitor, I think you get the first line. The second line is the name of the protein you are folding and how many atoms it is, the next line is how many frames or how many steps are complete of the wu (18steps or frames of 50 are completed or 36%). The graph in the middle is just a timeline type thing for a visual aid. The next line is how many steps of your current frame are complete 44.2%(the graph is again a visual aid). I think you can get the rest....if not just ask(don't worry, we all, or most, started where you're at. I'm not so sure skip did :eh?: ;) :p) If you hit history, it shows you how many wu's you've completely finished. Foldmonitor MUST BE RUNNING in order for it to go into foldmonitor's history. If not, the wu will still be sent to stanford, foldmonitor just won't know about it. If you have folding open, it's more prone to crash but yes it is still folding and still contributing. It WILL run slower though if it remains open.

Matthew1001 said:
Why don't I have anything under "Total Logged WU"?
That is simply how many work units have been completed and handed in. eg, I have handed in 60:

I have a total of 500 mins and you have 2,000 shouldn't by that token I have something like 15 WU. Is there a reason I don't have anything?

Second question, to fold does my internet connection have to be open or can I have it off and than open it and my stats will be sent?

Matthew1001 said:
I have a total of 500 mins and you have 2,000 shouldn't by that token I have something like 15 WU. Is there a reason I don't have anything?

The minutes taken for the current protein does not affect your total WUs. It simply means that I have completed and returned 60 Work units. When you finish that one and send it back then you will have completed 1 WU. The reason it takes me so long to get through a protein is because I can't fold overnight :'(.

Second question, to fold does my internet connection have to be open or can I have it off and than open it and my stats will be sent?

You only need an open net connection when sending or recieveing work.

When your PC is finished processing that work unit, folding@home will attempt to connect via the internet to Stanfords servers. If you have a permenant internet connection then it will send the completed work and request new work automatically. If you are on dialup (like me) it will bring up the 'dial up connection' box and ask you if you want to connect. Just connect and it will send the completed work and receive new work. When it starts its new Work Unit (you will be able to see through foldmonitor when a new unit has been started) you can safely disconnect.

Thanks for all the help. I wanted to know to see if I could leave my computer on today while I am at school. (That is where I am right now.) So it would finish that work but it wouldn't be able to start a new one because I wasn't on the internet. I decided not to leave it on because of a storm threat.

I was just browsing our Folding@Home website and I was looking at the scores. There are two columns one is WU and the other is Score. How is the score determined?

Back