• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this correct?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I was running Seti when they first started, back on my old Cyrix 200+ board and Win3.1 (Win95 had only been out a about a year, so still too many bugs:D ) I stopped for a number of years and have just jumped back on the Seti wagon. I'm running the latest Win32 release on a Win98SE with a P3 700a oc'd to 933.

I'm alittle baffled though. My comp only seems to be completing wu's about every 31 hours. From what I can remember, my old Cyrix was doing 1 wu only abit longer. Is this correct? I may be off in what my old Cyrix was doing, but I dont believe it was doing more then 40 hours on a wu.

Any place I can compare result times for similiar systems?

TIA

Yeah, that seems way too slow. At 933, you should be doing a WU in about 10 to 11 hours. There are lots of hints and tricks posted. Look through some of the sticky notes above. I'm sure you'll get a few more answers to this thread also.

Yeah, onward to the speed tips!!!

1. If you're running the screensaver client, either a) ditch it for the CLC, or b) set the screen to blank after 0 minutes (or close to that).

2. Make sure you hard drive does not spin down. If it does manage to do this, your times will be gross.

3. While you're at it, just disable all power saving (except for monitor power cutoff). It will probably slow down SETI.

4. Standby is SETI's arch-nemmises. While in standby, I get about four MILLION cycles per FLOP. :eek:

5. If you can, disable BIOS shadowing. It dosen't help much anymore (with the insane speeds of today), and according to some, it speeds up SETI if it's off.

6. Durring you overclock, try for maximum FSB and memory timings. Of course, after a point (100Mhz?) the pure speed will be better, but FSB and memory are what SETI lives on.

7. Disable Fast Find (if you have Office installed). Not only will it make SETI faster, but supposedly make you system more stable!

8. Set your virus scanner only to check program files. That way, it dosen't scan your WU every time it gets written to by SETI.

That's about all I can think of... Anybody else remeber any speed tips I forgot?

JigPu

ur time is definitly way off!! i supposed u r running GUI version then.....

anyway, here's all my PIII time under my sig.

PIII 1100 @ 1320 (118FSB) --> 5-6hrs
PIII700 @ 1000 (143FSB) --> 6.5 or so
PIII 866 @ 975 (150FSB) --> 6.5-7hrs
PIII 550 @ 733 (133FSB) --> 8.5hrs
my retired PIII 500 @ 720 (144FSB) just under 8hrs

Mpegger said:
I was running Seti when they first started, back on my old Cyrix 200+ board and Win3.1 (Win95 had only been out a about a year, so still too many bugs:D ) I stopped for a number of years and have just jumped back on the Seti wagon. I'm running the latest Win32 release on a Win98SE with a P3 700a oc'd to 933.

I'm alittle baffled though. My comp only seems to be completing wu's about every 31 hours. From what I can remember, my old Cyrix was doing 1 wu only abit longer. Is this correct? I may be off in what my old Cyrix was doing, but I dont believe it was doing more then 40 hours on a wu.

TIA

This will get you near 6-7 hours

http://www.ocsetiteam.com/Instr1.htm

those times way off

My PII350@505 does WU 10 to 11 hours so your 933 has something wrong with it make sure you have the CLC running and not the GUI version!

Practically everything already suggest is my normal defaults.

I use Norton AntiVirus but its not configured to check every file. But I believe it is set to check files on access, so that may be my main culprit. I'll check the settings and specify to exclude the wu file and/or directory.

My comp is already as fast as I can currently get it as far as memory timing and such. :D 133MHz bus speed, mem 2-2-2, no bios shadowing, etc etc. All "Power Saving" features in 98 (ACPI?) is currently set to stay on 24/7. The hard drives are always spun up and my monitor doesn't go into standby or powersave unless I use PowerStrip to do so. I think I'll just disable ACPI in the bios and remove it from the installed drivers as well, just to be sure.

But I am using the GUI version. I know the command line version is faster, but this is my main and only comp (although I still have a 233Pentium sitting on the floor, not to mention my old 486DX100:p ). I'll check the oc guide on Seti and see if the command line version is for me. But unless I can run/disable it whenever I like, and it doesn't hog all the cpu cycles to itself (ie, brings Windoze and anything else I may be running down to a crawl) I may be stuck using the gui version.

But I'll check it all out and hopefully, I'll be crunching packets faster. Thanks for the info.

Success!

SetiSpy is currently reporting a 4:32 hour per work unit processing rate! :)

My next question is the Process Priority. I'm no programmer, but I have a good understanding of how programs work in Windows.

I believe that a Low Priority Process means that the program will only use cycles when no other is using any or unless your actually using the program. A Normal Priority Process means that it will get a fair share of cycles, regardless of what programs are running and whether its minimized or not. And that the High priority means that the os will give the program the most cycles no matter what.

If that is true, what would be my best option to use? This is my only computer and I use it for alot, from gaming online, audio editing/mixing in real time, and video capture/editing/conversion etc. What I did with the GUI version was keep it open so its constantly running in the background while I'm just browsing the web, reading email, etc. I only minimized it (stop it from doing any work) whenever I did anything cpu intensive so that it wont affect performance.

Can I set it to a Normal Process priority and then run SetiSpy only when I want to? Or would constantly opening and closeing SetiSpy cause problems for the clc? Does the clc keep on running even if I close SetiSpy, or only when SetiSpy/Seti Driver are actually running?

IMHO

IMHO, set it to "low" and leave it run all the time. Set to low when you are using the computer for something else there will still be extra cycles that SETI can use, and whenever you enter a slack period SETI will still get all available cycles. This way you the user don't have to remember to change priorities depending on what you're doing and you don't have to be turning the CLC off and on. I know it is an unfounded fear of mine, but I always get nervous shutting down the client midway through a WU for fear that it might not close the files correctly and have problems when I start the client back up.

Just my $.02

Mpegger said:
Can I set it to a Normal Process priority and then run SetiSpy only when I want to? Or would constantly opening and closeing SetiSpy cause problems for the clc? Does the clc keep on running even if I close SetiSpy, or only when SetiSpy/Seti Driver are actually running?
-Just run it at 'Low' priority. I haven't noticed a significant difference between performance of 'Low' and 'Normal'. Sometimes I get response lags with other things I'm doing when running at 'Normal'.

I would just leave it open. Opening and closing SETISpy doesn't affect the SETIDriver.

The SETIDriver manages the CLC. If SETIDriver isn't running, neither is the CLC. You can leave the Driver running without the Spy, but I've tested this and there isn't any difference in performance. You might as well have the Spy running so you can monitor status, user stats, etc.

I have the SETIDriver in my Startup group so it will fire up when I log on to the PC. I get errors trying to fire up SETISpy right at login, so I just leave it off until I'm ready to kick it off using a shortcut on the desktop. Once it's up, I just leave it alone.

set it to LOW! DO NOT set it to Normal unless it's a dedicated cruncher, but still, u really won't gain much if any! but Normal will sllooooooowwwwww u machine down a LOT. NEVER try High! u might need to wait minutes just trying to reset it back to LOW.

i have it set to Low, and i rarely turn it off even for gaming. 'cos when it's in Low, it ONLY use whatever left from other programs that's running. if ur game use up 95% of the cpu cycle, then SETI will only snap up the rest 5%. no more than that.

Thanks for the info guys!

I've noticed that my CPU stays at max temps all the time now. :D
It's only spring, but its already hitting 41C highs, so I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

So now I know it doing its job all the time! My wu turn around has dropped from 32+ hours to only around 7 hours!:eek: :D

I've also joined the OCSeti-Team, so this group will be getting credit for my babies efforts. :beer:

I've also set the Seti Driver cache to 2 wu's, just incase Berkley is having trouble when my comp finishes the wu and also set auto transmit. The OC Seti website mentioned above didn't say to set auto transmit, so I wasted about 8 hours of work time when I was asleep and the wu wasn't sent or recieved.:eek:

I'm so happy, I think I'll bring my P233 back to life and have it crunching 24/7:D

Cheers!

You may want to set your queue to about a weeks worth of WU's just to be on the safe side.

41C? Well, you're about halfway to the chips limit.:D

Mpegger said:
Thanks for the info guys!

I've noticed that my CPU stays at max temps all the time now. :D
It's only spring, but its already hitting 41C highs, so I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

So now I know it doing its job all the time! My wu turn around has dropped from 32+ hours to only around 7 hours!:eek: :D

I've also joined the OCSeti-Team, so this group will be getting credit for my babies efforts. :beer:

I've also set the Seti Driver cache to 2 wu's, just incase Berkley is having trouble when my comp finishes the wu and also set auto transmit. The OC Seti website mentioned above didn't say to set auto transmit, so I wasted about 8 hours of work time when I was asleep and the wu wasn't sent or recieved.:eek:

I'm so happy, I think I'll bring my P233 back to life and have it crunching 24/7:D

Cheers!

Bump the cache up or use at team queue

http://www.ocsetiteam.com/InstrSetiQueue.htm

hehehe

1.33 @ 1.54

estimated time to complete wrk order 3:07 minutes

fsb is maxed at 172 though

hey from above post.... what multiplier to get fsb up to 170+ win 2k goes yuck and locks up immediatly when i try that high

Mhypertext said:
hehehe

1.33 @ 1.54

estimated time to complete wrk order 3:07 minutes

fsb is maxed at 172 though

Mpegger
I was running Seti when they first started, back on my old Cyrix 200+ board and Win3.1 (Win95 had only been out a about a year, so still too many bugs ) I stopped for a number of years and have just jumped back on the Seti wagon. I'm running the latest Win32 release on a Win98SE with a P3 700a oc'd to 933.

TIA

What are your seti user names?

Back