• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for RAID help on TH7-II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Modfather

Registered
Ok, I could type up a book here, but being that I am bushed, and VERY frustrated, I have decided to come here - something I should have done HOURS ago.

Ok, here are my PC specs, then my problem.

Abit TH7-II RAID
P4 2.0 NW
384 Megs PC800
GeForce 3
SBL
Intel 10/100 NIC

MAIN ATAPI:
48x CD ROM
10x CDRW
2 x 40 gig IBM 60GXP in Software RAID cfg.

RAID CONTROLLER:
2 x WDD 20 gig in Hardware RAID 0 cfg

Now the problem.

I have a LOT of IDE devices, and was hoping to get the most out of this board. Because in theory it will support 8 devices, I decided that I would see how effectively I could 'fill er up'.

Well, I fired up the machine with my XP disk in it, and it sees' the HPT372 controller which I thought was really kewl! Anyhow, when you try to format the HDD, it comes back and says that the partition on the HDD is not recognized by XP and cannot be formatted. So I delete the partition and try again--it errors out and I get the same message.

Now I played with this for about 2 hours - tried different BIOS settings, and Highpoint BIOS settings. Nothing has worked to this point.

So I decided to get slick - I grabbed my original 20 gig HDD w/ my old XP install on it, and removed the 48x CD ROM. Booted into XP, waited for my 'new' hardware to be detected - rebooted <windows-sigh> and went straight into Disk Management. Tried to quick format the drives and got the error: THE FORMAT DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY.

I am at a loss here. I don't know what is going on, and I am hoping that the expertise from my friends here will get me past this dilemma.

If I left anything out, please dont' be afraid to ask.

Oh, I also booted up w/ a 98 bootdisk - did an "F-Disk", then a format to FAT 32 - and tried to install XP on FAT32 partition. It errored out when it tried to reboot. Said Inaccessible boot device.

H E L L L L L P ! ! ! ! !

Thanks for taking the time to read this mess. I am goin to bed now.

MF

DAMN DUDE!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!!
i have been getting the same errors using a 2.4 p4 and 2 ibm 45 gig hd. aggravating as hell hope someone can help us both out

SHANTROY1 said:
DAMN DUDE!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!!
i have been getting the same errors using a 2.4 p4 and 2 ibm 45 gig hd. aggravating as hell hope someone can help us both out

I sure hope that SOMEONE knows a fix for this! I have done a lot of research on the net but have come up empty handed.

C'mon OCers......I know someone has fixed this prob!!

UPDATE:

Ok, not very reassuring, but I have some news.

I have been playin around with this PC and decided to take every IDE device except the 2 drives on teh RAID channel, and IDE0 offline. I then went into teh RAID bios and deleted the array, creating 2 seperate 20 gig HDD's.

When I booted into XP, I went to HDD Mgmt and tried to format the single drives....SAME error that I was getting with the HDD's in a RAID 0 configuration.

Anyone out there have ANY ideas???

I also have the same problem when the board is overclocked..
Just make sure you don't use IDE3 channel then you'd be fine...

I also have the same problem when the board is overclocked..
Just make sure you don't use IDE3 channel then you'd be fine...

Back