• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Ice Extreme and Antec 1040B Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XiveX

Hi guys,

Got a quick question. I've never set up a water cooling sysstem before, but my maze 3 and black ice extreme are all on the way. I have an Antec 1040B (the black one) case with 480w True Power PSU. I'm planning on putting the Black Ice Extreme Radiator somewhere near the top of the case to ensure maximum heat dissipation, but not quite sure where to put it. Since this isn't the FULL Antec Tower I don't have more than an inch or two above the PSU to stick something, not sure if the BIE will fit there. Do you guys have any suggestions for the radiator placement? BTW--Here is a link the the inside view of the case. (You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it):

http://www.antec-inc.com/pdf/soho.pdf

I can think of a few if it dosent fit. Move PSU, lower it if possible or move it outside the case, put Radiator for inlet at the front of the case, or mount it on the side panal, lastly mount the thing on top of the case, on the outside.

Why would you want to put it at the top when there's plenty of room at the bottom where it is cool, and intake fans are there. You can easily take off some drive cages, and I'm pretty sure it'll fit!

We need more response from users with the Antec case.

Yodums is right, you should put it near the front of the case. Just remove the lowest drive cage and put it there where the 2 fans are. Its gonna cool your radiator so there wont be need for 2 other fans. I dont know how big is is though, ive seen some pics of it but thats it. I say remove the bottom one and put it there, i never used that HDD cage anyway, unless you have like 4 HDD.

Viper can u pm me with a list of what parts and size tubing you used. I have that case and would like the same water setup. So if you can PM me with specs id aprecciate it

My thoughts exactly Dodge! My cousin has that same case and is looking into "doing something" with it. Thanks for the thought!!!!

Bottom of case, eh?

So you think the bottom is the optimal point? What about hot air rising? Doesn't that then mean all your hot air is going to rise up thru your HDD's and 5 1/4" drives? Wouldn't it be more effecient to put it above the PSU and cut a hole on top of case for blowhole? Just wondering...

Thanks for the neat pics though..

XiveX :cool:

It will fit up there. I am doing that myself cause I don't want to take anything out of my case. I got the same case. I am going to a 8x6x2 heater core. I measured it a bunch of time and there is just enough room to fit that heater core. I know the BIX is way smaller and thinner then a core. So it have to fit. I plan to cut two holes on top of the case for the two 120mm. And use the 4 80mm to bring the air into the case. My current water rig is my first water rig and I think I did a good job cause my P4 temp never go above 32c. So I am hoping my next one will do the same.

Re: Bottom of case, eh?

XiveX said:
So you think the bottom is the optimal point? What about hot air rising? Doesn't that then mean all your hot air is going to rise up thru your HDD's and 5 1/4" drives? Wouldn't it be more effecient to put it above the PSU and cut a hole on top of case for blowhole? Just wondering...

Thanks for the neat pics though..

XiveX :cool:

You just answered your own question :)

The bottom front is very cool. Hot air rises so hot air won't be efficent there right? Your fans on the rad will be blowing in the hot air from the components in your case.

Nice setup Viper, that is what I'm referring to :)

Yodums

her is my %.02:
i have an antec sx830 but noe watercooling yet
i think you should take out the two front intake fan holders (the purrple ones) and cut a hole there for a 120mm fan
use the fan as an exhaust (yes i know its at the bottom of the case) and put the rad on that
if it was my system i would put another blowhole on top of my vid card which would exhaust throught the rad into the outside

In m my system my cooling is as follows, < FAN-RAD-FAN-CASE <.
The arrows are the direction the air is moving. Now at the rear of my case I have 2-80mm fans 33 CFM each. With the 2-120mm 86 CFM fans I have a slight positive pressure.

Now I am going to make a few changes this week in a attempt to lower my my case ambient temps and to remove the heat from the case. Currently the case is receiving the heat from the rad. My plan is to reverse the rear fans so they are blowing into the case. Then I am going to reverse the 120mm fans on the rad so they push/pull (> FAN-RAD-FAN-CASE >) the air through the front bezel. I will filter the rear fans. By doing so I am getting ambient air through the case and discharging the the rad air out the front. This should lower my case/cpu temps.

From everything that I have seen, putting a fan on both sides of your radiator actually helps to cool the water better; i.e. : the way Dodge has his setup. You have the first pushing through and the other pulling out. If you want the effect to increase, you can always put a duct from the fan to the radiator to cover the whole thing more effectivly and do the same on the other side so that it will help pull all of the air through more effecintly as well. Just my $0.02. :)

Well I tried what I mentioned below,

Now I am going to make a few changes this week in a attempt to lower my my case ambient temps and to remove the heat from the case. Currently the case is receiving the heat from the rad. My plan is to reverse the rear fans so they are blowing into the case. Then I am going to reverse the 120mm fans on the rad so they push/pull (> FAN-RAD-FAN-CASE > ) the air through the front bezel. I will filter the rear fans. By doing so I am getting ambient air through the case and discharging the the rad air out the front. This should lower my case/cpu temps.

OUTCOME: It made no difference to case ambient or cpu temps. As I type my case ambient is 26c and my cpu is 35c. Thats alot of work to move and reinstall and then have to change it back. So it's back to < FAN-RAD-FAN-CASE <. I always wanted to try it and I am was a little disappointed that it had no affect on the temps.

what is your room temp. Id try to help you out with that case temp of 35c !! heck i got 25c, but my room is liek 75f. is your case totally full OF SCSI or what.

Please id love it for you case temps to drop s you can OC more.

OC Jason, my case temps are 26c and my CPU is 35c. Not a problem on my end. I was just trying to get it a little lower. The way my system is designed it dumps the warm air from the rad into the case, but the rear fans are doing their job of pulling this air out.

Umm some people don't like the idea,but why not put the rad outside the case you get better temp as the air is cooler and your case temps do not go up.mine i have on the bottom shelf of my desk.the only thing i have in my case is the tubes going to the water block all the rest is on the outside.

I've got a 1030B (same thing as the 1040 'cept less PS)...and I was wondering if you guys cut a 120mm hole in the bottom front of your cases. I hate to cut anymore holes than I have to in this case...I would hate to make a mistake.

DodgeViper said:
[B.

OUTCOME: It made no difference to case ambient or cpu temps. As I type my case ambient is 26c and my cpu is 35c. Thats alot of work to move and reinstall and then have to change it back. So it's back to < FAN-RAD-FAN-CASE <. I always wanted to try it and I am was a little disappointed that it had no affect on the temps. [/B]

For what it's worth, it didn't make a diffrence in my Antec case either (aircooled).

Infact, I ended up getting higher System temps.

Back