• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[build log] x299 7800x on a budget.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
whoops that was a typo on the 8gb i think.. or i was originally planning 8 because cheap. i currently have 8GB of ram in my rig running windows 10, i rarely get it over 6GB (if at all) i think having a 6GB gpu helps.. all i do on that pc is play games. i really wouldnt be doing this upgrade if i didnt grab that cpu as cheap as i did as what i have now is plenty sufficient. my second gaming rig sees issues with 8gb of ram but it only has a 2GB gpu

curious to see what programs you have running in the background. you're also pushing 4k on a gtx 760 which is only 2GB so that's also gonna be eating up a bunch of ram as your gpu cant keep all that game data in the memory it has to push it to the ram.

as ED said its a 6c12t $370 cpu so yeah saving $270 on it was nice. (and kinda a steal not my fault they didnt research)

I used a cheapo Samsung 28" non LED 4k monitor when 4k first came out and this was one of the few monitors that did 4k from the start. Anyhow I run mjy desktop at 4k but I game @ 1920x1200 vsync ON ..... I use DSR and makes my UT alpha feel like its on 4k resolution,, jaggies donto exist.. I also use 16x CSAA and high quality,, and what not.

more coming soon! due to temps even with a dual 120mm radiator had to bring her down... 4.5 was easy to get stable but temps were insane. think im gonna keep it here for a while, 4.2ghz @ 1.075v only way i could keep it under 90c. (the screenshot was just before core 9 crashed in p95.
oh yeah, forgot to mention... budget build needs budget ram... snagged this ram for $125.
4.2.png

Last edited:
i was doing large fft's / blend. small fft's made it shoot instantly to over 100c on most clocks, think current settings it was about 95c. fine with me, for most of my use i bet this beast will be well below 50% usage. :) even streaming using cpu encoder i was below 60% usage! i love it! gonna get some good pix later this week with final oc results.

Last edited:
Yeah these big boys need a ton of cooling add to that Intel has also used paste not solder on this gen. I was using a very good 360 AIO and could get to 4.5 with 7900X using P95 but that was the limit.

Yeah these big boys need a ton of cooling add to that Intel has also used paste not solder on this gen. I was using a very good 360 AIO and could get to 4.5 with 7900X using P95 but that was the limit.

doesnt help im only using 1200rpm fans, i sat a ultrakaze 38mm fan infront of the radiator for shiggles, dropped it like 10c, i might have to put some speedier fans, but i also like the quiet. we will see. :)

Back