• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voodoo5 1 or 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joeljr

Registered
I think one of my VSA-100 voodoo chips might have fried but I am not sure i there any way of finding this out please respond?:eh?:

how did u fry it?

the chip over heats from ether overclocking with stock heat sinks or a fan stops working on the stock heat sinks ( which are not even god enough for a voodoo2) for a god amount of time.

do a benchmark and compare it to a voodoo4 4500 if the marks are close to the same specs you've got...it fryed..

wow the card work with one bad chip...thats pretty neat...but yeah it would kinda suck in the performance of things...

well, windows only uses 1 chip. so it may be so.

does it crash the moment u open up a 3d game, or later in the game? if its the moment, then ur chip is dead. if its after playing for a while, i say its a heat issue with just that one chip.

if its dead, just run in single chip mode. ull get the same performance as a v4.

1 or 2

I ran ghost recon and the game was all screwed up as far as display with 4xFSAA on but worked just fine with 2xFSAA. Also in 3Dmark2000 my scores were higher on single chip mode selected (which supposedly uses 1 chip) than fastest preformane (which says to use 2 chips). that led me to the conlusion that 1 of the chips on my voodoo5 was in fact realy dead was I right or should I try something else?

Re: 1 or 2

joeljr said:
I ran ghost recon and the game was all screwed up as far as display with 4xFSAA on but worked just fine with 2xFSAA. Also in 3Dmark2000 my scores were higher on single chip mode selected (which supposedly uses 1 chip) than fastest preformane (which says to use 2 chips). that led me to the conlusion that 1 of the chips on my voodoo5 was in fact realy dead was I right or should I try something else?
That (1 chip faster then fastest) is a known driver issue. I think if it was fried it would not work at all in 3d games ,unless "single chip only " used , or not boot , depends on which chip was fried.

Back