• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Its Wrecked.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

I got this error tonight when i restarted my computer.

Windows could not start beacuse the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows Root>system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Im sure that I should have put this in the OS forum instead but I wanted everyone to see this, so that hopefully I could get it fixed. I am hoping that I would not have to reinstall, but I think I might. Any thoughts?

thats some agressive ocing,
my guess is that your not feeding the chip enough voltage or your cooling is weak..

Grab a DOS floppy put it in a computer with the same OS as the broken one find the file and copy it to the floppy. Remove floppy from working system place in non working system boot off floppy to DOS. Copy file to directory the file is missing from and restart computer do this as many times as needed till all missing/coruppted files are replaced.

I would say exactly what tbirdkiri said....eithor give it some more voltage or add some more cooling...sounds like a cpu miscaculation to me....try that before you reinstall windows....

Spec

If you have win2k or maybe winxp, you would always try just doing a repair. and , of course, turn your cpu speed down to see fi ti solves it.

{PMS}fishy said:
I got this error tonight when i restarted my computer.

Windows could not start beacuse the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows Root>system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Im sure that I should have put this in the OS forum instead but I wanted everyone to see this, so that hopefully I could get it fixed. I am hoping that I would not have to reinstall, but I think I might. Any thoughts?
In addition to everyone's excellent suggestions...being as the Hal.dll file is missing or corrupt (my guess is that it was renamed to Hal.nt), you can restore the original Microsoft Hal.dll file by doing the following:

1. Restart your computer from the Windows 2000/Windows XP CD-ROM.

2. Press R (for repair), and then press C to start the recovery console.

3. When you are asked which Windows 2000/Windows XP installation you want to perform, press 1 , and then press ENTER.

4. Enter your administrator password.

5. If using Windows 2000, type cd system32 and press ENTER to change from the C:\Winnt prompt to the C:\Winnt\System32 directory. If using Windows XP, type cd system32 and press ENTER to change from the C:\Windows prompt to the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

6. Rename the Hal.dll file to Hal.old. To do this, type the following line at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

ren hal.dll hal.old

7. Rename the Hal.nt file to Hal.dll. To do this type the following line at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

ren hal.nt hal.dll

Remove the Windows 2000/Windows XP CD-ROM, and then restart the computer. ;)

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys. Its fixed. I had to use the recovery setup and copy the file over. Its back and running after bening down for only a day. I am so glad that I do not have to reinstall.

Back