• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA+: Vcore-mod without soldering?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

<Grisu4>

Hi,

I want to do a vcore mod on my 8KHA+, but I'm not very familar in soldering. I saw pics where they did a mod without soldering - just attached something like little pliers to the pins to get it work.

Who knows the details?

You're lucky that I'm rather an expert at this.

You need:

1x 220K 1/4Watt Resistor
1x (Or 2x I will explain later) Pormona Grabber
1 Piece of wire
1 Soldering Iron and Flux

To find the Pormona Grabbers which allow us to attach the Volt Mod without soldering to our mainboard you need to visit Doctor's Thread -= Get Your Volt Mods Here! =-

Now simply solder the resistor onto the Pormona Grabber, then solder the wire onto the end of the resistor (resistors don't have polarity so theres no right/wrong way round) then this wire MUST go to ground.

This can be done by attaching it to the case with a screw (any Mounting screw will do) or to Pin17 on the Voltage Regulator chip. (This is where that extra Grabber comes in)

Once this is done attach the Grabber to PIN2 shown in red in the picture.

Last edited:
Luckily with the 8KHA+ you don't need a variable Potentiometer to adjust the voltage.

Simply select 1.65V in the BIOS for 1.9V and 1.85V for a maximum 2.1V.

Just remember that this mod will make a lot more heat, so Watercooling is preffered over 2V.

Also a good PSU is needed to take the extra current, so if your 5V line drops to low you may wish to take a look at Hoot's thread Why is my 5V so low? Read this

I have also done this Mod so if you need any information gimme a bell.

Good Luck!
Nick "Maximus Nickus"

Thanks for your great answers.

I'm totally down today. The heatpipe arrive and I wanted the CPU to be save and used a cu-spacer. After power up there was only blank screen. I powered instantly down and checkt the CPU. But it had gone already .....

I swear I will never use a spacer again .....

I get a cheap AXIA 1GHz TB soon, so meanwhile my Duron does the work. When I got the TB I will try the mod ...

The AXIA is the best stepping for a Ghz T-Bird, they have been known to go as high as 1.8Ghz!:eek:

Realistically there's no reason why with 2.1V you can't hit 1.4Ghz.
My AVIA (slightly worst stepping) hit 1.6Ghz:eek:

Good Luck!
M_N

I really hope for 10 or 11x133, but well, we'll see it when it arrives.

I coulf bit myself, because of my 1.1B. It was - or still is - an AXIA and took even 1.6 GHz .... without volt mod and water-cooling.

My system's in a CS-601 with 3x80mm fans. I used a Alpha6035 with an adapter to attach an Enermax PL80B with potti.
Too bad for the Tbird.

Do you think I can send it to AMD for replacement? There's no damage to the DIE. Only a little dark on one point of the waffer.

I don't think AMD would but you could try.

Simply email there tech support state what CPU you have an say it failed during operation, and don't mention overclocking!!!

Or simply return it to the place of purchase, I would try to get the black mark off it though, its a bit of a give away:D

Good Luck with your new chip,
M_N:)

I did write yesterday, but there's no gurantee mark on the CPU, so chances are low, hm?

Anyway I could try to sell it via ebay .....

Will get the 1GHz TB-B AXIA next week ....

Got the 1 GHz AXIA today. Just plugged in and it works fine @10x140 with 1.80 Vcore. Maybe tomorrow I will unlock it and try 10,5x140 or 11x133 with max. Vcore .....

I use the Coolermaster Heatpipe with standard fan @7volts, so it's okay with the noise.

I really like the AXIA stepping ;-)

But why wouldn't you try to sell the 1.1B via ebay - it's burned, so where could be a loss? Or do you know somebody who can repair it? ;-)

Hm, ... even if I say it's okay and it finally doesn't work so I would have to pay the postman twice ....

AMD didn't reply yet - do you think they will? HA! I don't ....

How much can I expect to get for it? Otherwise I cut cut the die out and make it part of my keychain ... :D

Unlocked the TB and maxed out @1518 MHz @1.825Vcore. It starts @1533 @1.85Vcore, but XP doesn't boot correctly.

Temps are about 38-39°C during I-net and Office.

So I think it's okay for a 1GHz bought for 71€.

Yes, but how to lower temps without getting too much noise. I have a CS-601st with 2x 80mm fans blowing in and 2x 80mm fans blowing out (all @~9volts).

Also there's a 431w enermax and the coolermaster heatpipe with a papst 3.7W 60mm fan on it (@~7-8volts)

I don't think air cooling could give me much better temps, even if I would buy an alpha 8045 or Swiftech 462 ...

I bought the heatpipe because of it's famous cooling @5 and @7 volts .... or what do you mean?

I think I will wait 2 months and plug the 8KHA+ in the 2nd pc and buy then a cheap 8K3A+ with Vcore up to 2.2V

Back