• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on the mechanics of flashing a BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChipFreak

Registered
Hey gang,

I have a noob question about flashing a BIOS. I'm running MrNaturals' 39C BIOS, and am still seeing a cold boot problem occasionally, so I thought I'd try some other versions this weekend including the new Abit beta BIOS.

My question is regarding the command line used to flash the BIOS. In the Abit TH7-II manual, it says to flash the BIOS using AWDFLASH.EXE directly, with a bunch of switches. Likewise, MrNatural included a command line in the thread further down on this page, also using AWDFLASH.EXE and a bunch of switches (one of which I believe creates a backup of your current BIOS).

All of the .zip files I've downloaded with these different BIOS versions contain a RUNME.BAT file, which calls AWDFLASH.EXE (or in the case of MrNatural, AWD800.EXE or something like that). Usually, the options used in the RUNME.BAT file are different than the ones included in the documentation for that BIOS.

On to my questions:

* Can this RUNME.BAT file be used? Is this a valid way to flash your BIOS, MrNatural?

* Do we need to worry about creating "backups" of the current BIOS? So far I've just made seperate bootable floppy disks and put different BIOS versions on each one. When I want to flash a new BIOS, can I simply put in the appropriate disk and run RUNME.BAT? (after clearing the CMOS of course).

* Does it mean anything if the "official" 38 BIOS from Abit doesn't write to the last block of flash, but MrNatural's 39C BIOS does? Does this mean I'm doing something wrong on one of them?

Any help appreciated...I'd hate to get some downtime because I accidentally fry my BIOS chip, so I thought I'd get some more input before continuing with my flashing this weekend...

Thanks!

I have flashed many boards of different brands over the years. I have yet to have a bad flash. I flash my TH7II with just the awdflash.exe command from a pure dos boot using DRDos 7.x flash boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. You don't need to use the runme.bat file for a "valid" flash as long as you use the right awdflash file (usually supplied with the bios file). Each bios update file may or may not write to the last block. As long as you don't get any errors the flash went ok. If the information in certain blocks is the same as the new update file then generally that block won't get written to. As far as saving backups, thats entirely up to you. In my opinion it's just a waste of space. The new beta TH7II bios from Abit supposedly fixes the cold boot issue but does nothing for core voltage increases so if you are overclocking, stick with the 39C bios and live with the occaisional cold boot problem until Mr. Natural mods the new beta with his magic (hint, hint!). I really love my TH7II with the 39C Bios and have no problems other than an occaisional cold boot 26 error which I can live with. Also, I always clear my CMOS with jumper after flash and load defaults. Hope this helps.

I completely agree with QuantumPhase. I would only add that the TH7II, and for that matter all Abit boards I have had experience with, require using the jumper to reset the cmos. Doing this is more than just good practice, it is necessary.

When I use the command line provided by Mr. Natural, I don't need to clear the CMOS with the jumper anymore. All settings revert to normal automatically. However, systemtime is saved :D Very nice :D

Mr Natural's command line switches allow for a backup of your present bios and it allows you to remain in DOS until you turn off the machine. Would not be a big deal UNLESS the bios file you downloaded didn't have any errors. If the copy you received had an error and you flashed it to your bios, goodbye computer for now. With the backup possibility you could at least try to reinstall your old bios.

What I am saying, is the couple of seconds that it takes to save a backup may help you out in the future.

Back