• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old celly cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sod

Registered
I was just wandering if I could run my old Celeron 600 without a cooler just a heat-sink. Anybody else tried that?

I hadn't actually tried that one with my old 566 Celly, but I think you're dissipating about 18 watts so you don't need much of a cooler to make it work well. You should be able to run a really quiet fan on almost any heatsink and be just fine. I used a GORB and it was fairly quiet and did a good job of cooling.

Why do you want to run without a fan? Your power supply fan will probably be noisier than a quiet HSF setup.

You can try it without a fan. You probably won't kill anything that way since the old celerons are very tough. Why not try a slow moving fan with a rheostat to control the speed? You can even try a little overclocking if you have some airflow. If your going to use no fan try running the chip at the lowest voltage possible.

I've done this. You just have to make sure that the heatsink is good enough to dissipate the heat on its own. A larger than standard heatsink would be a good idea. You should also make sure that there is plenty of space around it. If there is no room for any air circulation, then heat will build up and the chip will overheat.

Compaq built some machines like this I beleive, though the sinks were rather oversize and were in the PSU fan airflow. I've got a sink off a k6-2 400 intended for a compaq machine it's as big as the sink off a volcano 6CU but has larger more widely spaced fins.

There were passive coolers for slot 1 P400s as well that were basically just thick plates of aluminum with fins cut into the edges and bent backward and forward.

So CPUs of around that heat dissipation have been sucessfully passively cooled but one has to think bigger than the typical generic blown heatsink size for that CPU.

Certainly I would expect a recent swiftech without a fan on to be able to keep it cool enough.

regards,

Road Warrior

in my dads office there is a 700MHz p3 compac that runs without a fan, just one in the psu. i am sure that you can run the 600MHz celeron without a fan, just make sure that the heatsink has large fins with good space in between them for air flow (convection)

Back