• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homemade vs Complete WC kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HydroCool

which would u guys reccomend? a home grown water cooling kit or a kit bought from an online store? any comments are acceptable :D sounding like a forum mod is fun...be sure to keep in mind price and effectiveness

I think buying the waterblock at a store is a good idea. You can pick up a heater core and a decent pump at a non computer related shop. Tubing is under $2 at The home depot for 10 ft. Here is an example of what I would get.

Gemini spiral or Maze3 ~ $40-42
120mm fan of your choice ~ $10
Heater core ~ $17
Maxi-Jet 1200 295 GPH pump ~ $20

You cant do any better with a kit.

In my opinion if you see a complete setup that you like then you could for the same money or less:
1) Get a more powerful pump for the same money at an aquarium store.
2) Get a better performing radiator for half the price at an auto parts store.
3) Get all the little do-dads from your local hardware store for less
4) Shop for the best block that suits you with all the money you just saved.

I agree with gone fishin.

You might also look into building a couple of circuits to control pump, fans and peltiers heh.

If you understand the whole workings of the system, designing your own is probably cheaper and/or better.

The advantage to a kit is you don't have to do that. People who don't understand the principles should have less problems with a kit.

Back