• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the heck is folding@home??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I'm a bit confused, I have seen a bunch of stuff about folding@home farms, and raising funds for folding@Home. I just would like to know what the heck it is? Maybe it is something I could do too. Please let me know, THanks.

Folding AT Home is a project that aims to investigate how proteins fold, in order to understand various diseases and genetic disorders.

Because the computing power to do this folding by itself isn't avaialble, we download tiny chunks of work at a time and process it. There are hundreds of thousands of GHz working away at this.

We are seperated into teams to make it more interesting. We are team 32, currently 3rd.

For more info see:

www.overclockers.ws - our FaH page
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76038 - useful thread
http://folding.stanford.edu - official homepage

Hope you decide to join the team ;)

Hmmm...well I dont' know anything about diseases, genetic disorders, or proteins. Does this matter? I would assume it would, but want to make sure just in case. Thanks!

soundfx4 said:
Hmmm...well I dont' know anything about diseases, genetic disorders, or proteins. Does this matter? I would assume it would, but want to make sure just in case. Thanks!

You need no scientific knowledge whatsoever ;). All you need is a computer (or two, or ten, or 5 hundred :D) and a net connection. Dialup/cable/dsl/t1 whatever. It uses your idle CPU time.

You don't have to know anything except how to install/run an application on your computer.... piece of cake, right? :)

All of us fold for a variety of reasons, but here's mine:

1. It's for a good cause.
2. It tests the performance of your computer
3. It has little or no affect on my day to day computing
4. I like to be part of this team of knowledgeable techie's.
5. It's an applicable skill for the myriad of IT based talents that I have accrued over time: justification for the higher education.

You have a great rig for folding, install and haul!

Wedo

Ohhhh, cool, that sounds simple, easy, and very helpfull! Sure I'll join, but not right now, I am at my networking class trying to get a logon script to work from a windows 2000 server on a Win98 client, and it isn't being very user friendly about it hehe. WHen I get home I'll start doing what I need to do to get started :)

soundfx4 said:
Ohhhh, cool, that sounds simple, easy, and very helpfull! Sure I'll join, but not right now, I am at my networking class trying to get a logon script to work from a windows 2000 server on a Win98 client, and it isn't being very user friendly about it hehe. WHen I get home I'll start doing what I need to do to get started :)

Cool ;). If you have any questions, no matter how simple or boring, feel free to ask in this forum. There are many people here willing to help out.

Jeff Bolton said:
you should ask your system administrator at school if you can get it installed on the whole network :D:D:D

jeff

Great idea! I would totally swap login script support for a network of machine's folding for team 32 :D

Wedo

Back