• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cut out factory fan grills omg!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Dropped off 2 intake and 1 exhaust fan grills (crappy swiss cheese ones) Temp down almost 10C for 45 minutes of dremel work..sweet.

lol ..
Im using a TT Volcano 6Cu+ right now its not all that loud but i can hear it .. 39DBA

I found that out about how restrictive those cheese grater grills cut into the are case about 1 1/2 years ago. I cut them out on a case and immediately noticed that the fans moved a lot more air. Plus, I found tha they were actually adding to case and fan noise due to the restriction they imposed and the computer ran noticeably quieter after cutting them out.

would anyone recommend this for an Antec 1030 type case?
The grills seem pretty spaced apart for good air flow already, but maybe a little more will help?

Depends on the grill but cutting them out would definately make some difference I'm sure of it. Just buy an aftermarket metal grill cover. How many fans do you have? I cut out 3 total so It was a big change intake and exhaust wise.

I cut out the grill on the back of my Lian li, even though it did not really need it. It was sort of one of those things that i did because I could, not because it really needed to be done. Plus the gold fan grill looks cool.

Yeh some factory grills aren't that bad. Mine were awful very small holes all spread out now the air is blowing out strong. I am just waiting for my rounded cables to free up some more airflow.

Back