• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do YOU secure your system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

Want to know what you do to secure your computer from hackers, big brother, and any other stick fingers around the home?

i use norton systemworks 2002 and it protect me from most things and i hide most of my files and put passwords on stuff from my parents and my little sister

ltww said:
Want to know what you do to secure your computer from hackers, big brother, and any other stick fingers around the home?

got the firewall up and use norton system works, also norton anti-virus.
as far as people using it when i am not around: it has a lock on the side panel and a lock and the door that covers up the drives and power button, so they can't even turn it on. When it is on and i am away, my system is always locked( i use win2k).

So basically, unless i let someone, no one else can use it.

As far as Hackers go, I use a router that has protection built into it, and also Zonealarm to only allow internet connections with just the programs that I've designated.
As far as the big brother thing, I don't have those problems yet, my oldest son is only 10 and and youngest is 5, I've built them their own computer to do what ever they want to on it. They know better than to touch my main rig. :cool:

HACKERS - hardware router/firewall

BIG BROTHER - don't install spyware (you have to use common sense for this part.. or find a good anti-spyware site)

OTHERS - everybody knows better than to touch my stuff. while i'm @ lan parties & stuff, i lock it down... (windows 2000)

windows 'blank' screensaver @ 14 minutes password protected
(auto-locks if i leave it idle for 14 minutes.. 15 minutes=monitor off)

the old fasioned way: CTRL-ALT-DEL, Enter

neat way: make a shortcut on your desktop/startmenu, name it what you like, set a shortcut (mine is CTRL-ALT-L), and give it the filename:
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
just like that.
then press CTRL-ALT-L and voila! it's locked down
(WinXP ppl can just hit WINKEY-L, it's built-in, no need for this)

su root said:
HACKERS - hardware router/firewall

BIG BROTHER - don't install spyware (you have to use common sense for this part.. or find a good anti-spyware site)

OTHERS - everybody knows better than to touch my stuff. while i'm @ lan parties & stuff, i lock it down... (windows 2000)

windows 'blank' screensaver @ 14 minutes password protected
(auto-locks if i leave it idle for 14 minutes.. 15 minutes=monitor off)

the old fasioned way: CTRL-ALT-DEL, Enter

neat way: make a shortcut on your desktop/startmenu, name it what you like, set a shortcut (mine is CTRL-ALT-L), and give it the filename:
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
just like that.
then press CTRL-ALT-L and voila! it's locked down
(WinXP ppl can just hit WINKEY-L, it's built-in, no need for this)

Dude, you are the bomb! I've been wondering how I could do that forever! Thanks su root.

(That's what i love about linux, they have a nice little lock)

**edit** If you have any more jewels like that (or know where I can get them) can you please post them up in a thread? That would be sweet. I don't know many tricks with Win2k.

HACKERS - hardware router/firewall/modem and Configure Linux with IPCop (IP Chains based firewall)

VIRUSES - Run Mandrake Linux

BIG BROTHER - Run Linux, MS is very pro big brother

OTHERS - Bios protected password on boot, Linux system passwords.

My Linux system is pretty secure as its not made by MS and does not get touched by anyone in my home due to the fact that it is exceptionally unfriendly compared to Microsoft Operating Systems. The rest of my family still run MS OS based machines which still allow the opportunity to play with security holes and privacy issues not to mention viruses and other nastys which do not appear to come from the corporate world.

While we are here, heres some links people may be interested in.

Security Patch for Explorer fails to fix
problems

Invasion of Privacy ? Using The Search Feature in Windows XP

Microsoft opts Passport holders into spam hell

Last edited:
Firewall - ZoneAlarm Pro 3 ver 3.0.118

Other people - Wife has Win98 on her own partition, Win2000 Pro is mine exclusivly, NTFS partition, and Kremlin if I want to encrypt anything.......

Ad Aware to get rid of spyware, a registry editor for cleaning my registry out, Opera 6.01, cause I don't like Internet Exploder, and watching out for stuff like Gator, that comes with just about everything......:)

ltww said:

*Nortons Anti Virus 2002

*ZoneAlarm Pro

*Netwatcher

**And my favorite a Justcooler remote control that bypasses the Power on and reset switch......Its great as the only thing that turns my pc on is the small remote and only costed $19.99

My case is locked and nobody can start my Pc unless they have the remote control (the On and Reset button are disabled ;)

jremotekit360.jpg

That Pc remote control is simply awesome, keeps your spouse, roomate, kids from being able to turn on your pc, not to mention that when your on your way home you just hit the button in your driveway and your pc is all booted up and waiting for you.

The range is about 50 feet and is simple to install, takes about 2 minutes. :)

(PS I added this info, heres a review on it)

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=29467

They are hard to find I got mine from this guy

I use ZA through my router and password on screensaver after 14 min ,and the adware removal stuff ,also Norton Antivirus 2002

I have a firewall that blocks nearly everything except port 80. I scan weekly for viruses and spyware.

As far as people using it when I'm not around.. well it's usually not working most of the time!

I make sure I don't have any open/enabled accounts, unless it's required to be open (for webserver, FTP etc).

I also audit all login attempts for success/failure, so I know if somebody's trying to get in on more than a regular basis.

I run NAV 2k2, and I run ad-aware about twice a week to get rid of spyware.

To avoid Big Brother, I don't run XP :D

I'll lock down my system whenever I'm away from it (even if I'm home alone) and at LAN parties, if you touch my system w/o my sayso, I'll lay the beatdown on you :mad:

Back