• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

westcoaststyle

Alright, here's what I'm trying to do. I have a Dell laptop and an HP desktop. Both are running XP Pro. I'm trying to make my laptop connect online via wireless through my DSL modem.

Well, I bought a Netgear Wireless Netword Card MA401. I plugged it into the PCMCIA slot in my laptop. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with it.

I also bought a Netgear Wireless Access Point Networking System. I plugged in the power adapter to it, plugged in the USB cable into my desktop. I installed the drivers.

That's pretty much all the Quick Installation Guides told me to do. On my laptop, it says that it's connected and signal strength is excellent. However, when I open IE, I can't access any web pages. The network card has a green LED with the word Link next to it and the green light is on, so I assume there's no problem there. On the Access Point, there are two lights, which are both orange. I would think it would have to be green for it to be working, wouldn't it? I really have no idea what to do now. Also, the Access Point came with a CAT5 cable, although the Quick Installation Guide didn't say a thing about connecting it somewhere so I didn't. Am I supposed to connect this somewhere? Someone help!

make sure you have your IE to never dial a connection that should do the trick. Plus if you decided to set up WEP encryption make sure you have it set on the router and the wireless card. They should have the same name that you use to set the encryption for the router or the wireless card..

Try that and let me know if it works

West Coast...few things. Were both the laptop and desktop accessing the internet at the same time previously? The DSL connection is in the desktop via network card and the access point is attached to the desktop via USB? What is the part number for the access point? The only part I'm stumped about right now is the connection between the access point and the PC. The manual says use any USB port? Gonna do a little more snooping at Netgear...looks like I see a USB only access point.

If everything else seems to be okay you might want to check out Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)? This document at microsoft has details on how to enable ICS with XP. Good luck..keep us posted!

Well, my desktop has previously been online (I'm using it right now). I've never went online with the laptop because I only received it about a week ago from my uncle. The DSL Connection is connected through the Ethernet card on the back of my computer. The Access Point is connected through a USB port (I used the one that is right in front of my computer case). The Access Point model number is ME102 (I forgot to mention that before).

Found some info but it may or may not be good news. You might have a problem using USB because, based on the datasheet, the current firmware/software only supports 98, ME and 2K. I checked the updates page but the current firmware revision only adds support for 128bit WEP. You might want to give Netgear a call.

However, datasheet also stated that there was a 10Meg ethernet hardware connection as well. Do you have USB and Ethernet connectivity on your ME102? If you do, I would suggest purchasing a second NIC card for your desktop, attaching the Accesspoint via crossover cable, and using Windows ICS to get a spoofed (fake) IP address to the AP. You can also go from NIC #2..to a hub/switch, then attach the AP to the hub/switch if you like.

what i think ur laptop could get online is b/c u haven't set up ur computer (desktop) as a router or a gateway. so, there's no IP address had assigned to ur laptop from the desktop. therefore, the laptop couldnt' access the net.

the green light is on "only" means u've got the singal/connection TO the access or just the desktop!! that doesn't mean u got the connection to the web/net tho!!

what u need to do is to use some proxy/routing/gateway/sharing software on ur desktop in order for it to assign a IP to u laptop and start the routing/sharing net access.

u could just use ICS from ur WinXP to do that.

or better yet, take it back (if u could?) and grab a wireless AP w/ router built in. that way, u connect DSL modem --> AP --> directly to both rigs via ethernet & wireless. so u dont' have to have the desktop on in order for the laptop access the net.

i'm using Linksys's wireless AP w/ Router + 4 ports Switch on my home network. love it.

let me know how it goes.....

good luck!! ;)

Back