• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I open a port on my Router Firewall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonKore

Registered
I just recently got a Linksys Router, and now I cant play my XBox online. It tells me I need to open Port 8602 on my firewall. How do I do this?

You need to go into the Linksys Router setup screen and forward port 8602 to the IP address of your XBox or PC. I'm not familiar with the XBox setup, so I don't know if it has an IP address or does it go thru your PC.

When I go to my Router's Control Panel and then help for forwarding, it says:

To add a server using forwarding:

1. Enter the range of port numbers and select the protocol used by the server. On the same line, enter the IP Address of the server that you want the Internet users to be able to access.
2. Configure as many entries as you would like until all of the link entries are filled.
3. Click the Apply to save the settings.

It doesn't tell where to do this.

and the XBOX uses my computer's IP.

DragonKore said:
When I go to my Router's Control Panel and then help for forwarding, it says:

To add a server using forwarding:

1. Enter the range of port numbers and select the protocol used by the server. On the same line, enter the IP Address of the server that you want the Internet users to be able to access.
2. Configure as many entries as you would like until all of the link entries are filled.
3. Click the Apply to save the settings.

It doesn't tell where to do this.

and the XBOX uses my computer's IP.

fill in the blank:

Port: enter 8602 in the port number.

Protocol(?): don't know 'bout Xbox, but i'm guessing should be TCP/IP since it's for online gaming.

IP: enter ur computer's IP since u said the Xbox is using ur computer's IP.

let me know how it goes?? may be i'll do that for my nephew's Xbox too.....

DragonKore said:
There is no place on my Routers control panel that would let me enter a port number.
didn't u say 1. enter the range of port u would like to open under ur router's control panel/help/forward?? there should be a place that allow to u enter a port number & IP for forwarding.....

i'm using Linksys wireless AP + router + 4 ports switch too. try to look for forward inside the control panel. and type in the port that Xbox use & the IP of ur computer (or whatever IP that the Xbox use).

I went into the control panel, went to advanced, went to forwarding, put the ports 0 ~ 8608 , made it a UDP connection, and entered my IP and my internet nor my XBOX online works.

DragonKore said:
I went into the control panel, went to advanced, went to forwarding, put the ports 0 ~ 8608 , made it a UDP connection, and entered my IP and my internet nor my XBOX online works.

Firstly, set the port to 8608-8608. You don't want to open ALL the ports up to that number, just the number itself.

Secondly, you want to use TCP, not UDP.

Third, what did you change that disabled your internet connection? That wouldn't happen just from the port forwarding page.

Thanks guys. That did it. Now my internet works, but I have to school, but I think my XBOX works too. I'll respond when I get home and try it. Thanks.

[EDIT] Thanks guys, everything works great!

Last edited:
Back