• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freon Heatsynks? Where? What? How much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrJOnes666

Registered
Hi,

Just wondering if the Freon technology is now available at reasonable prices...?

I have an AMD 2000+ and was wondering if it was possible to change the current fan heatsynk to a Freon Heatsynk, and if so, where do I get such a heatsynk, is it hard to install, and how much would that solution cost?

All info appreciated.

Thanks!

DrJOnes666

Could you elaborate?

Did you mean a heatpipe/heatsink?, or a refrigerated processor block?

I heard of a heatsink called the "ZEN"... supposedly it had some coolant inside it. costs $100 though. not cheap. plus, it didnt really cool the cpu that much more than a conventional HSF.. maybe a few degrees lower at best.

just buy an AX7, the best HSF for the money...bought mines with a 80CFM Delta and AS3 for like $52, thats with shipping and tax...ax7 was like $25 fan was $15 and AS3 was $6

What, like running freon through a water block?
Sure, if you DIY and just rip the cooling unit out of an old fridge and attach it to a waterblock, you have an excellent cooling system...
Futura

it doesnt exactly go that way, theres a LOT of different things involved.... and thats called phaze change

the other thing is a heatpipe, wich is really nice, and i WANT to build one... but i dont know if i will do it...

yea i plan to get a custom made peltier to go with my phaze change system. im going to get one with a Delta T of like 30C so i can strap it to an allready -20C phaze change system for -50C by the time you calculate the cpu increase it brings it to right around -40C continusly

In regards to "Did you mean a heatpipe/heatsink?, or a refrigerated processor block", I can't elaborate much more... I was just inquiering because someone today at a computer store told me something about Heatsynks that had freon in them and that would cool the CPU to around 20C. He said it was noiseless, easy to install, and cost around 100$-150$.
I'm going back tommorow to ask him if he can find me some info on these things (URLs, etc.) but I thought I'd also ask around to see what people have to say about that.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a heatpipe/heatsink and a refrigerated processor block? Where can I read more about them? All info available would be appreciated.

Thank you,

DrJOnes666
---------------
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
MB:ASUS A7V333
Volcano 7+ Heatsink
512 MB DDR 333
GeForce 3 Ti200
Idle: ~46C / Load: ~54C (May,25,2002)
Not Overclocked

if its the "zen" dont get it, there is some other one that is suposed to work great, i forget what its called, like kendon or something like that, not sure

Here's an example of a commercial heatpipe installed in a heatsink, called the HHC-001. The Zen is also another example of heatpipe tech, but a poor one at best.

As for a refrigeration system with the cold evaporator directly mounted to the cpu, the Fridge at icee computers. There's more examples, but this one's available for purchase. Click the fridge link in the left menu.

This should give you a couple of things to dream about...Have a great day!

Back