• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toms Hardware Test number on Overclocked 3.0 gig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therudyq3

OK...I'm a newbie here....but this article from toms hardware on an OC 2.2 to 3.0 northwood post some Open GL numbers that don't make sense to me. In quake3 it posts around 308.2 fps on an OC 2.2 to 3.0

here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020117/p4_3000-04.html#opengl_benchmarks

But recently some other northwood cpu been released and they get wayyyy above 300 fps in quake3 on slower cpu...

like here:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020506/p4b-06.html

a 2.4 Northwood now achieves 303.3 fps ...same as the OC 3.0 cpu...

so whar are we saying here? an OC system just gets faster in cpu cycle but the instruction processes do not get much better? The cpu cycle clocks get faster but the number of instructions don't get much better?

I was gonna purchase a 1.8a northwood and OC it to 2.4 to play quake3. Hoping that I may achieve 300 fps... but..heck can I??

take all benchy info from Tom with a grain of salt. hes known for posting some stupid, biases, and simply not well done benchmarks.

-Malakai

but.....

what does it say here? i overclocked a cpu to 3.0 gig from a 2.2 northwood and gained only 20 fps...when i can get a 2.4 northwood and get the same results?

so if i get a 1.8g northwood and OC it to 2.4......i won't get much more fps???

can some one tell me .........

dude, quake is maxed out. dont use it solely for benching performance.

it is very vid card based too.

-Malakai

He just doesn't know what he's doing. I've got my 2.26 overclocked to 3 Ghz (actually it's 2999.87 Mhz :D ) and this is what I get with a GF4 Ti4600 running at stock speed. A wee bit better than 308.X me thinks...

Quake3_fastest_640_480.jpg

heres where the difference is i think:

in the [email protected] review he used a Ti500 in the new review i believe he used a Ti4600....its the video card man..also hes an idiot

but still...

Placid I agree that he used the different graphic card, a plain GE3 and ge3 ti 500..... but still an OC 3.0 only gets 300 fps?? while a stock 2.4 with a slightly better graphic card get 300fps as well?
and a 2.4 with the 533 actually gets 326 fps....imagine what it would be like if this was a true 3.0 with the ti 500...it would be getting around 400 fps or more.........
i think this test is false...or else there's something not to be gained when u OC a cpu like this
by the way...quake3 is more cpu and memory intensive...i have a p3 800 with a ge2 gts 32MB and gets around 105 fps...when i switched over to the radeon 8500 64MB..i get the same results...and this was tested with the latest greatest drivers...etc... my cpu was maxed out and the card didn't help

Re: but still...

therudyq3 said:
Placid I agree that he used the different graphic card, a plain GE3 and ge3 ti 500..... but still an OC 3.0 only gets 300 fps?? while a stock 2.4 with a slightly better graphic card get 300fps as well?
and a 2.4 with the 533 actually gets 326 fps....imagine what it would be like if this was a true 3.0 with the ti 500...it would be getting around 400 fps or more.........
i think this test is false...or else there's something not to be gained when u OC a cpu like this
by the way...quake3 is more cpu and memory intensive...i have a p3 800 with a ge2 gts 32MB and gets around 105 fps...when i switched over to the radeon 8500 64MB..i get the same results...and this was tested with the latest greatest drivers...etc... my cpu was maxed out and the card didn't help

Well, when I had my GF3 clocked at Ti500 speed, and my [email protected] with RDRAM @ PC1152 I got 380+ fps at 640x480. Upgrading to a GF4 Ti4600 made little to no difference at 640x480 in Quale 3 actually. My SS in the earlier post is currently missing as my ISP is doing some work on their servers atm, but with my current setup I get 424+ fps at 640x480x32. I also believe even the GF3 Ti500 would score more than 400 fps with my current cpu/mb/ram.

cooling?

Turbo...what cooling method are you using on your current 2.26? How do you like the 2.26 when it comes to overclocking?
I may get a free Intel MB from a friend in which case I will go for the 2.26 but I know that it Intel MB won't allow you to overclock..but I can upgrade the MB later on.
Rihgt now I'm considering the 1.8a with an asus MB and OC it to 2.4

Back