• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silver heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Needitcooler

Have any of our rich members ever tried to make a heatsink out of silver? If so, how did it perform. And lastly, can I use it when you are done?:p

You should be asking SilverSinkSam that question.
i dont know if he has ever mad one for a CPU, but he does have samller ones

Pretty much Its a waste of money ;)

Thermal Conductivity, W/cm-K

Copper 3.937

Silver 4.173

Aluminum 2.165

As you can see copper is so close to silver in Thermal Conductivity.

When I built the SLORB it performed a couple degrees better than a Stock Blue Orb, but you have to remember the Blue Orb isnt copper, but rather Aluminum.

The Silversink Ramsinks are so close its not even worth talking about.....Maybe 1/4-1/2 a degree difference as registered on a digitaldoc.

So basicly if your crazy and have alot of money to burn, sure go ahead and build an All silver heatsink, but the guy sitting next to you with a All copper heatsink will also get almost the same temps.....:rolleyes:

BUT I DIDNT SAY IT FOR I AM SILVERSINKSAM :beer:

well, theres a 6% difference between silver and copper thermal conductivity. the temps diffs look like very small. thats a good thingy, heh
those silver blocks would make the more dedicated of us go broke real fast if they performed better.

just a thought. :burn:

h2sammo said:
well, theres a 6% difference between silver and copper thermal conductivity. the temps diffs look like very small. thats a good thingy, heh
those silver blocks would make the more dedicated of us go broke real fast if they performed better.

just a thought. :burn:

HEHe Good point but its a shame the cost difference isn't 6% between the two :rolleyes:

PS JudgeDredd for years people were under the assumption that Cusil was better than Fine .999 silver, So far I havent seen any proof that it is, in fact its worse Im led to believe... :eek:

Compexpert said:
they do sell copper blocks that are silver plated they arent to much money about $10 more

Silver plating doesnt do anything to increase the thermal capacity.....Just thought I'd add that......

There is a couple instances where silver plating is good though.

Some of the earlier Kainie Hedgehogs has pins that seemed to be loose, by plating the Pin area people noticed an improvement, but if your just plating a copper heatsink you wont see a noticible Improvement....... :eh?:

JudgeDredd said:
Is there no other metal with a higher heat conductivity rate than silver?

As said before CuSi might be better but also as stated, I've yet to see proof.

There is another material (not metal) that is much better then silver.

(you thought silver was expensive)

diamond!

2000 Wm/K

Now you can't make a block out of all diamond (well goto the smithsonian and steal the hope diamond and it will still be way too small)

So you gotta make it syntheticly, I was really determined to get this accomplished, because you could easily make a mold and mass produce these blocks. However, after talking to a chem grad student at my school I found the time (and obviously money) to get a crystaline structure even close to diamond would be insanely high.

Well hope I enlightened you

A diamond Heatsink. HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I love this place. Only at Overclockers can you talk to other people that are as crazy as I am.

thought we found out a long time ago the best heatsink was a polar bear. just couldn't get em to sit still.

You're right about CuSil, ATC9001. The thermal conductivity was estimated from its electrical conductivity (the two are usually interrelated). However, when someone actually tested the thermal conductivity, they found it to be worse than pure silver.

Anyway, if you want through the roof thermal conductivities, and you have money out the yin-yang, get a custom heatpipe built to the size of your heatsink/waterblock/whatever base.

What about making a structure such as this:

| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | } copper fins
| | | | | | | |
++++++} copper base
--- } very thin diamond platter
== } die
?

Also, that graphite might be promising- what is you fill a WB with it and push water through it with very high pressure?

Back