• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux or Win2k - which is faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Racepics

Registered
Just wondering how many are running seti in Linux.
I have Linux (Mandrake 8.2) and Win2K. I run seti in both but I run it directly from a command prompt (in win) or bash shell (in linux).
Given that these two OS's are running on the same machine should either one be faster? I would have expected Linux to be the quicker (I don't know why) but they seem to be about the same.

They're about the same really. I could see linux doing a little better on an older machine that didn't have as much ram and less computing power. When linux is stripped down it doesn't use as many resources.

Ah well tweaking Linux is not something I know much about yet - but I hear it can be "customised" to suit particular hardware setups and/or programs..
I think for me building a 2nd box will be the easier path to higher numbers..
I just built a Tyan based dualie - but I eventually had to hand it over to the client - damn I hate that :rolleyes:

Back