• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP why is my 5v rail falling AGAIN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbslow

OMG I cant beleive this cr@p 2 mobo get zapped and one psu now it looks like my 2nd 400w psu was damaged somehow (maybe one of my new mobo's now). I just got my pc set a few days ago I bought a new mobo , cpu and hsf. Under load the 5v rail was 4.93v-4.98 ([email protected]@1.8v) but now only four days later under load my 5v rail is 4.81v-4.91v at this rate I'll need a new psu buy wed. WHat could be frying me componets maybe the surge protector is broken and the regular power fluctuations are ruining my PC??? I'm open for suggestions so give me something here , HELP!?!

I hate to say it, but did you measure your voltages with a multimeter?

MBM does a fine job reporting what the motherboard is returning for a voltage, but they are notoriously inaccurate both for temperature monitoring and, as it turns out, for voltage monitoring.

Before you plunk down any more cash, check the 5V and 12V rail through startup and under idle and loaded conditions. Bet you will find it is well within spec.

BTW, spec on the 5V rail is +/- 10%, so you are within tolerences.

Why do you think your PSU is dying? What is the computer doing that would make you think power problems?

Mainly because I watch this happen a month ago. The voltages started to drop but I it was stable so I didnt worry to much until my pc started to crash that was when the 5v rail was dipping below 4.6v.

I think both my 400w antec psu were damaged awhile ago from a power serge of something. I've already RMA'ed one now I may need to consided another RMA I havent lost stability YET.

Check it out the average has fallen to 4.78v and the low has fallen to 4.68v.

Last edited:
this could be cos of the atx connectors not the powers supply if u get the chance try cleaning them and squeeze them a little to make them a tighter fit. ur psu might be puting out 5 volts but the resistance in atx connector is droping in down. check if the atx connector is warm to touch while ur comp is under load.

if that is the case it will get worse and worst and melt ur atx connector thats the only thing i can think of. well best of luck

Back