• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange XP multiplier problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nuon

Specs -

Abit KX7R ( KT333 ) w/ LATEST BIOS ( 9K )
XP 1600+ AGOIA
512MB Corsair XMS 3200
AX-7 HSF

I unlocked the cpu using super glue and conductive pen.
But for some reason I can only change the multiplier
in increments of 1. That is 5.5 is 5, 6.5 is 6, etc.

Has anybody seen this problem before?

Welcome to the forums nuon,
The problem you are having is due to a bad unlock,either one of your lines are touching or there might be a small part of the pits that were not completely filled and the ink is grounding out in it.The first 2 cpu's I did turned out perfect but the one I have now has this problem and I think its due to a grounding in one of the pits because my lines appear perfect.The multipliers are the first thing to check though when you unlock to see if you done it correctly.Im not sure what you can use to remove conductive ink because I used the defogger kit to do mine but if you decide to remove the ink and try again do not scrape it off which im sure you already know because it will expose the copper underneth which will ruin it.

nuon said:

But for some reason I can only change the multiplier
in increments of 1. That is 5.5 is 5, 6.5 is 6, etc.

Has anybody seen this problem before?

Yes I have an XP1600+ AGOIA right here that I tried to unlock before i went to bed last night and the first boot (default) was 11x133 so I'll have to remove the cpu and try again later when I have more time.

Yea.. sounds like a bad unlock. I would try again, try using a very precise tool to seperate the conductive stuff going on.

Back